Montana Gold Nuggets

Anybody remember the original Fisher Gold Bug ads? There was a guy named Bud Guthrie that had (has?) a store called the Prospector Shop outside Helena, Montana. Bud and his gold were featured heavily in the Gold Bug launch around 1987. Most of the gold I assume came from Montana but Bud also hunted elsewhere. The largest gold/quartz specimen came from Arizona if I recall correctly.

I stopped and visited Bud over 25 years ago. His shop was in a trailer outside Helena, and he had gold on display that I would not display in a trailer anywhere!

Click for larger version....

fisher-gold-bug-ad-bud-guthrie-montana-gold.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2018 at 9:51 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Anybody remember the original Fisher Gold Bug ads? There was a guy named Bud Guthrie that had (has?) a store called the Prospector Shop outside Helena, Montana. Bud and his gold was featured heavily in the Gold Bug launch around 1987. Most of the gold I assume came from Montana but Bud also hunted elsewhere. The largest gold/quartz specimen came from Arizona if I recall correctly.

I stopped and visited Bud over 25 years ago. His shop was in a trailer outside Helena, and he had gold on display that I would not display in a trailer anywhere!

Click for larger version....

fisher-gold-bug-ad-bud-guthrie-montana-gold.jpg

That brought back memories that I had totally forgotten about.  I stopped by his shop a couple times in the late 1980's or so, and was impressed with all the gold he had there, but never saw the big specimen.   I think all he said at the time about the big specimen was it came from somewhere north of some point in Arizona.  Can't remember if he told me that (because I know I asked) or if I read it in a magazine.

I owned one of the very first  original GBs in my area, it was way better for finding gold than what I had been using which was the Garret Ground Hog. I met Bud in Quartzsite sometime around the late 80s.

Thanks for posting this Steve.  Yes they do find gold in MT still and hopefully more photos to come.