Hand Held GPS

I use a Garmin GPSmap 62s quite a bit at work.  Garmin has software for your computer called BaseCamp, that costs like 30 dollars a year.  BaseCamp allows you to download high res maps for anywhere in the USA at least, and the software allows you to plan adventures, and enter waypoints as well as an easier interface with the GPS.  The only thing I don't like about my Garmin, is its hard to see the screen in the sun, and it really eats up AAA batteries.  My buddy has a Garmin, with built in InReach, which allows for emergency rescue, and text capability through satellite networks.  Useful for emergency no cell areas.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kodiak said:

I use a Garmin GPSmap 62s quite a bit at work.  Garmin has software for your computer called BaseCamp, that costs like 30 dollars a year.  BaseCamp allows you to download high res maps for anywhere in the USA at least, and the software allows you to plan adventures, and enter waypoints as well as an easier interface with the GPS.  

Being able to put my geo maps on a gps is priceless to me when I am hiking all over the place and don't know where I might end up.  I used to manually make my non geo maps in google earth and then import them to the GPS.  Now I just pay to do the BaseCamp.  It is so much easier than trying to line up points exactly with the township boxes...  (those of you that have done it, will know what I mean)  

Whatever GPS you get, you will likely have an attachment point.  I just put this on my chest (right side) clipped to a carrbeaner.  When I want to know where I am at, I flip it up to look at it and then let it go when I'm done.  Easy cheesy.

• Like 4

I researched the dickens out of GPS before I bought one.   There are several nice handhelds on the market that can do different things with maps, even satellite views.   But in the end I went with a Garmin Vista HCx.  It has operated flawlessly everywhere I've taken it.

I use it for driving, hiking, hunting, fishing, just about everything.  

You really want the color display.   There is just more information in a color display than a monochrome.

Get good maps for it and it is sweet.   At least mine has been.

HH
Mike

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 9:34 PM, Kodiak said:

My buddy has a Garmin, with built in InReach, which allows for emergency rescue, and text capability through satellite networks.

I assume you refer to this model:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY03CZP/?coliid=IR6R0VV8NPW7C&colid=KT4N3YMOA948&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This uses Delorme's (proprietary?) communication system.  Here is a Delorme's model:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6EY01C/?coliid=I37BLUV8OMN406&colid=KT4N3YMOA948&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Does anyone know of any advantages of paying the extra $160 to get the Garmin instead of the Delorme?

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

I assume you refer to this model:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY03CZP/?coliid=IR6R0VV8NPW7C&colid=KT4N3YMOA948&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This uses Delorme's (proprietary?) communication system.  Here is a Delorme's model:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6EY01C/?coliid=I37BLUV8OMN406&colid=KT4N3YMOA948&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Does anyone know of any advantages of paying the extra $160 to get the Garmin instead of the Delorme?

GB_Amateur,

Yes, the Garmin model with the InReach is the Garmin InReach Explorer+ you linked to at amazon.

I have a Delorme InReach Explorer, the Delorme model you linked to as well. 

I use a Garmin GPSmap 62s for navigation, and the Delorme, for emergency response and simple texting like (All OK, headed back) as preset messages since it is such a pain to manually text using the Delorme.  I imagine if I had the Explorer+, I would only need to carry one unit instead of two, as the Delorme Explorer is more for emergency response and communication than it is for navigation.

Depending on whether or not your situation requires the InReach communication, the advantage of paying the extra $160 is that you wouldn't have to pay the $289 just for the explorer, and then buy a GPS for navigation.  All of the Delorme InReach have monthly/yearly subscription plans just like a cell phone provider.  I think they vary from $5 a month to $35 month.  

My explorer usually sits in the glove compartment of my truck, with its cigarette lighter charger waiting to save the day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Garmin acquired inReach from Delorme (or may have totally bought out Delorme??).  The Garmin is their newer model and the Delorme is the old pre-Garmin model.  I have the older model.  The new model has a larger screen and may have some additional capabilities.

I use the "TopoMaps" app on my phone or iPad in conjunction with any GPS device with Bluetooth.  

• Like 1

I have a Garmin InReach satellite phone with GPS and other capabilities. The phone was about $500 or so but plans are very reasonable given what you get (I pay about $35/ month for all features including calls and sending/ receiving texts, but the # of each is limited per month ... I would only use calls/ texts for absolute worse case emergencies for myself or others, but the texting feature is nice to have in the event I'm late/ overdue from an adventure and can notify my wife/ friend that am on my way down from a mountain or when back at the truck, to avoid them calling the Alaska Search & Rescue hotline because I didn't call them at x time I said I would -- yes this has been done before and is not good. The phone also has a "hot button" that when pushed automatically dials the emergency services center, which comes in handy in the event a fall is suffered or a bear has mauled you ... all of this gets routed through the satellite systems/ networks so it's 24-7 and functional literally everywhere. Also, the plans need not be paid for every month. You can activate it for one month only, such as if you know you're going to be in areas where no cell signals are. Then, not activate it for months and months, such as not going anywhere for the winter. Then reactivate it x future month, pay the monthly fee for that month, and so on. No penalties for doing this sort of "wave plan" as I call it. It's a very functional and cost effective/ affordable tool to have.

• Like 3