Need Some Help On Beach 1 Or Beach 2

I did post this on another forum, but, different people, different responses.

I have a question concerning an experience I had today at the beach. I was detecting when I came upon a friend of mine who was trying to help a woman find a pendant she had just dropped into the sand. I went over to see if I could help because my friend couldn't find the item. The pendant is very small. Think of a battery for a hearing aid only thinner. My friend Richard finally gave up so I decided to give it a try. Before I got there I was hunting in beach 1 with GB 0, RS 5, IB 3, five tones and nothing rejected. I switched over to beach 2 with all attributes the same and started hunting for the errant pendant but couldn't find it. The area was very small, about five feet by three feet. The woman was absolutely positive she had just dropped the pendant at that spot. Richard and I covered that small area very well.

Finally, when I couldn't find the pendant, the woman said thank you for looking and started to walk away. Me, thinking she probably dropped it somewhere else, reset my Nox to the previous beach 1 set up. I put the coil to the sand, made one sweep and got at 2-3 hit. I turned 90 and it remained. I got my pin pointer out, pushed it into the sand maybe two inches, got a hit, reached into the sand and pulled out the pendant! The woman was about 30 yards away by this time so I had to holler to get her attention. She was very happy to get her pendant back.

So, after that long story, here's my question. I'm a bit confused about beach 1 and beach 2 and when is it best to use one over the other? I switched to beach 2, from beach 1, because I've read it hits harder on small gold than beach 1. Is this true or have I mis-construed what beach 1 and beach 2 do? Is beach 2 only for in the water?

I think you might be confusing Park 2 and/or Field 2 with Beach 2. Park 2 and Field 2 should be more sensitive to small gold then Park 1 or Park 2, but Beach modes do not work that way. Beach 1 seems intended for Wet and Dry Sand and Beach 2 for in the water.

Capture.JPG

On 7/9/2018 at 6:57 AM, staffydog33 said:

I use beach 1 sensivity to 16 on dry sand.

Beach 2 for very wet sand and in the shallow watter.

Matt.

Same here.  Although I rarely hunt dry sand.  I am able to crank up the sensitivity over 20 in Beach 2 in the wet sand/shallow water and is generally more stable on my local beaches.  Beach 2 does have a lower transmit power though, as stated above.  The higher transmit power of Beach 1 and differing weighted low frequency processing could have been the difference on the "very small" pendant recovery.  Basically, Beach 1 is going to be more sensitive to smaller, lower conductive targets from my understanding.

As others have already stated, while neither Beach mode is particularly optimized for gold jewelry (which would mitigate their ability to reduce the salt signal ground reference) because both are weighted to low frequencies, Beach 1 is slightly more sensitive to small jewelry than Beach 2 because it is weighted to slightly higher frequencies vs. Beach 2.  This is actually the opposite of the park and field modes where the "2" modes are more sensitive to gold and small targets than the "1" modes.  Note also, in dry sand, you can usually get away with using just about any mode you wish. So if you are after a specific type of target especially a lost item recovery for someone, if it is small and/or gold, dial up Park 2/Field 2 or even Gold 1 if its silver go with Beach 1 unless its tiny then try Park 2 or Gold 1.