Best Mode To Use

So i got my Nox and have messed around a little bit with it.  

Main question i have is that if i am hunting for relics and coins, but the soil is highly mineralized (there is a gold prospect on the property and I pan gold from the soil, and there are tons of magnitite crystals free and in the rock matrix) what is the best mode to use, Field since target are spread out or Gold since the soil is so mineralized?  There is an old road that cuts right past the old prospect pits.  Most the ground i will hunt has the possibility of gold as well as relics lol.  

The ground here gives the monster issues with hot rocks, the gpx does fine.  While there is fine gold in the overburden i have yet to find anything big enough for a detector to locate.  

Another question:  a few of the hits i got with the 800 jump between negative numbers and 11 to 15.  Ive attempted to dig these and cannot locate anything, and when i bring the gpx over it has no hits.  So i understand  negative numbers are generally hot rocks.  But ive played around with some of my gold and most of the medium sized nuggets 1 to 4 gram ring up right around 11 to 15.  So i keep chasing what?  Hot ground??

Any insight is appreciated.   

Target sounds with no metal means either ground signal or hot rock signal. Random ground signals means issues with ground balance possibly and too much sensitivity in particular. Hot rocks you should be able to actually find, and once located they can be dealt with in various ways, including visually and by notching them out.

Equinox Gold Nugget Detecting Tips

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, 

I was in the Default gold 1 mode, I will back the sensitivity down and see how that does.  I will re-read all the detecting tips i can find for the equinox as well.  

Thanks again!!

• Like 1

After reading all your posts about prospecting with the equinox i was more so thinking of increasing the recovery speed to be able to see as close as i can to the hot rocks and ferrous targets.  Most all the areas i hunt have never been hunted and the ones that have have only had the GPX 5000 go over them, and if an area was trashy they didnt attempt to dig much.  

All the posts you have written about the equinox have been very informative the hard part is trying to commit them all to memory lol.  

I've used both Field 2 and Gold 2 to good success relic hunting in the highly mineralized soil of central VA.  But the GPX still rules when it comes to depth in those conditions.  In thick iron or ration cans/trash, the nod goes to the Equinox, though.