The Forum Like Limit

The “Like” button on the forum serves a couple functions. First and foremost, the intent is that the most liked threads should coincide with the threads people think are most worth a read. By liking good posts you are alerting others that they should be interested in the post.

Likes gives points to the person on the receiving end, which in turn determines who “wins” the Leaderboard each day, which gives people clues as to who posts the most appreciated threads.

Since this is a points system it is by intent limited because you are supposed to value the number of likes you have to hand out each day. The current limit is 20 per day (they renew daily). This serves 99% of the forum members with no problem.

I could raise the limit but that helps a very small number of people. My preference is that each person know they have twenty per day to use and hand them out appropriately. It’s not supposed to be like the school where everyone gets a medal just for attending. :smile:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The current limit is 20 per day. This serves 99% of the forum members with no problem.

I've bumped my head on that ceiling a few times (as you likely noticed) but I'm fine with the limit, which seems to be a rolling 24 hours -- that would make the most sense.  If it won't let me like a really good post I can just wait a while and try again.

Thanks for the explanation on the "like" concept.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

Only ran out a couple times....I like to hit the like on new members posts for encouragement. Everyone likes to be liked and I think 20 is more then enough.  Now what about HaHa, Sad, Confused, and Thanks? How many of those do we get? :biggrin:

strick

You can’t overuse them since they have a limit of 20. :smile: How you use them is up to you. I generally try to “like” good answers to questions asked. I often “like” posts of nice finds. Or somebody simply makes a nice comment so I “like” it. Whatever. It is a very loose system but it does basically highlight good posts.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 2:20 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

It’s not supposed to be like the school where everyone gets a medal just for attending. :smile:

Image result for 8th place medal

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like the 'like' button because it lets me let the poster know I read and appreciated their content when I don't have time to make a decent reply post.   

Kind of a quick, "I read your post and appreciate you sharing it"  type thing when I'm popping in and out to read whats going on.

HH
Mike  

• Like 4