Steve Herschbach

Video Review Of Anderson Carbon Shaft For Equinox

Going to have a review of a shaft coming up. Should be even better as it is two piece. Also from a long standing MFG source with a great rep. Stay tuned.

Dave  

I highly recommend the Anderson too.   Got a lot of hours on mine now and the coil is as tight as when i first got it.  I have one that i tested..... mine has double holes for the spring button.   He changed that.... but id highly recommend using a second hole.   Thats on of the main issues with the ML one.  It allows the coil to move ....... and then of course everything else does causing wear.  Keep the ML shaft as a travel shaft........ look at it this way you didnt have to buy a travel shaft...... WHICH would have cost you about the same as the Andersons.     

Anyone slap it on a scale to see what the weight difference is?

On 7/12/2018 at 5:07 AM, dewcon4414 said:

I highly recommend the Anderson too.   Got a lot of hours on mine now and the coil is as tight as when i first got it.  I have one that i tested..... mine has double holes for the spring button.   He changed that.... but id highly recommend using a second hole.   Thats on of the main issues with the ML one.  It allows the coil to move ....... and then of course everything else does causing wear.  Keep the ML shaft as a travel shaft........ look at it this way you didnt have to buy a travel shaft...... WHICH would have cost you about the same as the Andersons.     

Would the small coil Minelab has promised make the original shaft less problematic? how about with large coil that is promised as well? or will an aftermarket lower for the shaft of choice be necessary for every coil? what would the projected cost of such an arrangement be?

Very nice!  Just got to wait for payday now.  Anywhere in the UK sell em?

The Anderson shaft looks great and is on my wish list.  The Equinox handle thickness Calabash doesn't like is a function of what you have to do to seal the battery into the handle.

Obviously anything that keeps the coil from moving much would help prevent wear on both the CF/Aluminum and those locks.   I think something as simple as drilling clean thru to make a hole for a double spring clip or nylon bolt would solve a lot.   If you water hunt..... just a lot of torque things will move and salt and sand will wear it faster.

Dew are you saying from your previous post that the Anderson now doesn't have a double spring clip on the lower shaft?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By groundscanner
      My 800 came by the little brown truck this morning!!  I am hoping that the rain holds off until after it is charged so I can go out and dig up the yard.

• By schoolofhardNox
      This weeks beach hunt was split between the GPX and Equinox. The GPX scored 5 deep silvers, but this item is the reason I love the way the Equinox ID's targets. To some, they may not like the jumpy numbers on mixed metal targets, but I appreciate the added information, as I always like to be the one making the final decision to dig or not. The GPX would have read this as Iron, especially at the depth it was. But the Equinox read the copper content as well as the iron. Since I run with no discrimination, the detector sees both metals and reports them as such. That is a good thing. But I also like to run my iron volume on zero, that way I am not swayed by the iron sound to possibly not dig it. The iron numbers still flash to give me that information, I just prefer not to hear it. That makes these type of targets easier to examine. If you have not tried you Equinox that way, give it a try. For me it is one of those perks of a well designed machine.

• By groundscanner
      Hello all,
      I am new to the forum and this is my first post.  I have an Equinox 800 coming via the Brown Truck and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the approximate Target Id numbers for the following:
      Eagle buttons
      Flat buttons
      58. cal Minnie balls

Thanks!! I am really enjoying the wonderful post here.
    • By steveg
      Hi all!
      I've been talking about this for so long, that I figure some of you may have wondered if it was ever actually going to happen, BUT...
      I am happy to announce that parts for one of the two prototype Equinox complete shafts arrived today, and I finished assembly.  I am VERY pleased with the quality of the parts -- especially the clamping cam lock, which was a large portion of the focus for the design.  I have done a small amount of testing/evaluation, and I am happy to say at this point that the strength/security of the clamp is impressive, and meets the design intent.  Overall, I see nothing about the shaft that needs to be changed/tweaked at this point.  I plan to build the second prototype when parts arrive for it on Tuesday, and then will do more testing and evaluation of both shafts.  Soon thereafter, I expect to place a "first order" for parts, so that I can begin offering them for sale.
      Here are a few pictures...
      Thanks!

Steve

• By midalake
      Can someone please tell me how long the Minelab adapter cable is to go from 1/8 to 1/4 headphones?
      Thanks Dave

• By Dig It
      Have been looking bck. at past post on waterproof headphones for 800 NOX. Just wondering if there is a clear winner ?