Detector Vs Backpack Dredge 1 1/2"

I was more interested in dredging when gold detector hit the scene in the late 1970's. In 1980 I found detecting was too much hit and miss but dredging was more constant and had found gold constantly and got 4 ounces in 1980 and nil detecting. 1981 things turn around and I got more detecting, 1982 a four ounce nugget. The big problem for me was the restriction on dredging laws and with detecting it was a day trip to and from the detecting locations. I have found more than 100 ounces detecting part time, the largest specimen yielded 16 ounces largest nugget 6 ounces, To answer your question when you have found  a spot to dredge and the returns are fair you have site for quite a while getting gold. Detecting is hit and miss at the start, but experience will pay off in the end 

• Like 4

I don’t have really any experience detecting for nuggets but I can tell you a 1 1/2” dredge does not move much material. To be honest you would probably be better off with a grizzly gold trap sluice and a shovel in my opinion plus that setup is lighter. I have a 1 1/2” dredge and it basically just collects dust now. The pump works well for a high banker though ????

• Like 1

I would say its more about the ground that you have access too that will determine if you can find nuggets with either.  Location is everything.  

With that being said a 1.5 inch dredge is only going to be good for picking cracks in exposed bedrock, you can shovel dirt far faster then what an 1.5 inch dredge will move material.  Minimum dredge size i would recommend is at least a 2.5 inch, but i would go with the largest you can handle that will work in your area.  

Detecting as geof_junk said is hit and miss you could have great days and then you could go weeks with no gold.  Generally with dredging you are always getting at least a tiny bit of color.  

I do both and I love doing both,

Best of luck!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It depends purely on the location and nature of the gold. In an area with nothing but fine gold a detector may find nothing where dredges, sluices, and even just pans succeed. Nuggets are the prerequisite for nugget detecting. Most dredgers get used to consistently finding gold and have a hard time with detecting, where you can go ages between finds.

Legalities aside I would rather try and make a living with a dredge rather than a detector. It would not be a 1.5” dredge however, which I consider to be more like a gas powered crevice cleaner.

Lol, post is right on the money. I like the crevice sucker part. I agree, dreding is the true money maker on a good spot. For money making nothing under a 5 inch. However I have a fondness for proline's 3 inch, you could do well on a small creek the big boys can't run on. Dredging is peaceful and love to watch pickers go up the nozzle. 

On 7/11/2018 at 12:25 AM, geof_junk said:

In 1980 I found detecting was too much hit and miss but dredging was more constant and had found gold constantly and got 4 ounces in 1980 and nil detecting. 1981 things turn around and I got more detecting

Very well stated; similar experience for me ... 1984-1985 = first used detector, I had rented it from a shop, found it too stressful .. did find some rings and a watch, but too hit-miss for my tastes, and back then wasn't into gadgets. 

Nugget Hunter:

Dredging, in my opinion is superior to every method including metal detecting unless you're in a known nugget producing area with the right detector with the right GB set and right settings and know how to use it proficiently as if it were your hand ... then okay, detecting is the edge, otherwise it's suction dredging, but not with a 1.5 inch hose unless sniping is all you've got opportunity to do. 4" minimum for me. But really, it depends on the location and situation (e.g., if you can get to the prime areas in the location) 

BTW ...

I didn't get back into detecting until 2012. In 2013 both of my detectors were stolen. Took me about 3 years to deal with that loss not just the theft but unable to go out and do it/ lost opportunities ... still is a sore issue for me. Not until 2015 did I replace one but really, not till last year did I get into it fully committed. Looking back I do wish I'd given the detector a better chance but lacked the patience.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, kiwijw said:

MMMmmm....not so peaceful with a motor or two humming away all day shattering the peace. :biggrin: Sluice boxing, crevicing, sniping & detecting are peaceful.?

JW :smile:

When you are blowing bubbles under the water you don't hear the motor so much. But I agree with your direct of thought.