How Coins, Relics Etc Work Their Way Down Into The Earth??

The same rules apply to jewelry. My brother in law lived inter-state near Brisbane QLD he told me to bring my detector when I was due up next. He had found over 200 gold rings. I found that most of the rings were sitting on a hidden clay layer. I was lucky he left me 50+ gold rings. I got them at low tide during the king tide period in Easter.

• Like 1

I have found meteorites on the surface in the desert that have been there for 40,000 years and pultabs 3-4 inches deep in manicured lawns. Pultabs have about the same or lighter specific gravity than the soil the are buried in. They didn't sink.    Eolian gold nuggets can be found on the surface with desert varnish on them.

• Like 2

This may seem pretty simplistic and I'm getting off topic a bit, but from my experience (mostly B'ham and S. Fl), if the earth at a site hasn't been disturbed, then it seems that the type of ground or soil is the major sink rate factor. Tree roots, lawn mowers, people walking on, vehicle traffic, etc. also factor in, but in general, dense, clay and rocky soils slow sink rate considerably, whereas sandy and loam like soil have considerably faster sink rates. Very hard dry pan ground like much of the West has can have virtually no sink rate. Since we travel full-time, the first couple of things I try and determine at each new site, (usually parks or median strips) is the density of the soil,  and if the ground is natural or was it disturbed or trucked in, and if so, about how long ago. Most of my best finds have come from natural, undisturbed, denser and rock filled ground. I've also found that older locals can be very helpful in determining whether or not detecting a site is worth the time.

• Like 2

Aurum,   Correct,  coins and other detectables are almost always deeper in manicured laws than in naturel undisturbed ground.  Those lawn clippings add up fast.

Note that soils/lawns that have been top dressed are a good spot to try with a deep seeking detector.(The cheap detectors have left good targets behind)

Good Old Gravity!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• 1 month later...

To RickUK

Funny you mention the Nexus MP.  I have just searched the site for mentions of it, and hear i am,   back on one of my old threads ? 

Anyhoo .....  Just bought the Nexus MP V2 with standard 13 inch coil.  Mega excited!   The depth capabilities seem awesome to say the least.  Now i have 2 detectors in my arsenal.

Andy.

Hheheheee  yeah those big coils wouldnt be much use on small individual coins, but deep hoards of treasure and BINGO. I ordered the 13 inch DD. 

I really need an ASIMO robo boy to help dig those holes!!!   EDIT: Or one of those "mouse hole gadgets" used in captain america winter soldier!  Film nerd alert, sorry ?