Snorkel Hunting With The Ml Yellow Wp Phones

cdv

Spent 5 hours in the water with the Equinox and the ML Yellows yesterday so now I have a good idea how they will work for underwater.

(I've added silicon to the insides of the yellow cups to lower the ambient noise that comes in the thin plastic also added gel pads for the same reason. Just wanted to put that out there for everyone to know they have been slightly modified.)

The phones worked well enough that I could hear targets underwater. My hunting with a snorkel is walking upright with 40 lbs of weight to keep me planted on the bottom. When a target is heard, I have the option of dropping down and fanning or using the scoop if it is a deeper target. 

I seriously doubt these phones will work for Scuba hunting due to the noise from the air bubbles, I would try something else for Scuba.

One time I did have trouble hearing a target and later realized the darn phones had slipped off my ears, guess I dropped down to fast.

Nothing spectacular on this hunt but the Equinox really found some small targets out there. By the way, open small hoop earrings sound more like a false than a target so having iron discriminated and turning down the sensitivity until you have an almost silent machine (I don't us threshold) helped finding the smaller items. 

Sadly that good looking rose gold Pandora stud is just 14k plated. I really thought I had my first gold stud earring in the water.

Cliff

2018-07-10 12.57.44.jpg

2018-07-10 12.57.54.jpg

• Like 2

Nice finds, interesting technique for snorkeling, I use a diy 12v hookah, was out to a lake with my 600 and dove in about 7ft of water, I had modified a plug and used waterproof earbuds under my hood, with volume at max was able to hear pretty good even over the noise of the hookah, I like being able to stay down while fanning target. I just received my Waterproof headphones from Tony so will be using them now.

(I've added silicon to the insides of the yellow cups to lower the ambient noise that comes in the thin plastic also added gel pads for the same reason. Just wanted to put that out there for everyone to know they have been slightly modified.)

I also have the yellow Koss phones. Had the same problem on the CTX. Could you advise which gel pads you used? I bought a pair off eBay but they're a bit too small (luckily didn't cost much fro China). Regards.

11 minutes ago, Darwoody said:

(I've added silicon to the insides of the yellow cups to lower the ambient noise that comes in the thin plastic also added gel pads for the same reason. Just wanted to put that out there for everyone to know they have been slightly modified.)

I also have the yellow Koss phones. Had the same problem on the CTX. Could you advise which gel pads you used? I bought a pair off eBay but they're a bit too small (luckily didn't cost much fro China). Regards.

My gel pads came from China also but via Amazon. Even with careful measuring and finding a pair that "ought to fit" they didn't, so I did as I have in the past, glued them on and that has worked fine. 

Cliff

Just a tip for those that may not be aware or that don't mess with "advanced" settings...make sure your individual tone bin volume is set higher for underwater use and not just the overall volume.  I noticed with my yellow headphones that the volume on my test rings was low and it honestly didnt dawn on me til I hit a quarter while out in the water and the hit was so loud it hurt my ears.  It then clicked that while hunting on land I had modified the sound settings, and that my sounds were also set with the wireless headphones which have volume control. The yellow ones are different, but the individual programs are different too in that some are set with likely coin target tone bins having more volume than the likely trash tone bins.  Which in the water, is where most of the gold jewelry is going to be....once I went through and changed the volume of the bins to match the coins, I didnt have any trouble at all and actually lowered the overall max setting by a few numbers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

Just a tip for those that may not be aware or that don't mess with "advanced" settings...make sure your individual tone bin volume is set higher for underwater use and not just the overall volume.  I noticed with my yellow headphones that the volume on my test rings was low and it honestly didnt dawn on me til I hit a quarter while out in the water and the hit was so loud it hurt my ears.  It then clicked that while hunting on land I had modified the sound settings, and that my sounds were also set with the wireless headphones which have volume control. The yellow ones are different, but the individual programs are different too in that some are set with likely coin target tone bins having more volume than the likely trash tone bins.  Which in the water, is where most of the gold jewelry is going to be....once I went through and changed the volume of the bins to match the coins, I didnt have any trouble at all and actually lowered the overall max setting by a few numbers.

Valid point Daniel!

I had my target volumes modified too.....all but iron up to maximum. I have a few sets of headphones I use on the Equinox, , I use a reduced overall volume normally 22 or 23, with all but the yellows which I have to use a setting of 25.

Cliff

I think mine are decently loud.  I downloaded a Db reader app for my phone and with the headphone ear piece on my microphone on the phone, the Nox seems to average 65 Db at 25 volume. It would jump to the low to mid 70s.  OSHA requires hearing protection for exposure to 85 Db and above to prevent hearing loss.  I'm not sure if I want mine any louder. The AT Max with blue Garrett headphones at a setting of 1 (lowest it can be set on volume) was approx 90 Db on the same app. The loudest setting for it actually peaked over 120 Db....which nears what a .22 rifle is. 

1 hour ago, Daniel Tn said:

I think mine are decently loud.  I downloaded a Db reader app for my phone and with the headphone ear piece on my microphone on the phone, the Nox seems to average 65 Db at 25 volume. It would jump to the low to mid 70s.  OSHA requires hearing protection for exposure to 85 Db and above to prevent hearing loss.  I'm not sure if I want mine any louder. The AT Max with blue Garrett headphones at a setting of 1 (lowest it can be set on volume) was approx 90 Db on the same app. The loudest setting for it actually peaked over 120 Db....which nears what a .22 rifle is. 

Totally dependant on each individuals hearing as to what can be tolerated. On a windy day with waves crashing, you will turn up the volume.

I will say those Garrett Blues are LOUD!