Got My Nox 800 Today Two Coil Questions?

The coil ears seem very flimsy. Has anyone reported them breaking?  Also [see pic]  on the bottom of the coil where the coil wire comes into the coil I have a small round something? sticking out. Does anyone else have this on their coil? I have a picture but it will be grainy due to the close up. it sticks up on the outer rim.

Thanks Dave   

DSC00810.JPG

The only complaints I've heard regarding the coil is regarding sand getting underneath the coil cover, otherwise I have not noticed it to be flimsy or suffering any ill effects from a couple hundred hours of use in various environments.  Can't make out anything from the pic.

• Like 1

One guy was walking a hillside and broke his an ear.    As a water guy we tend to want to use the detector as a crutch while digging..... dont do that.   They seem to be harder than you think to break.   You can always use a Large nylon washer on the outside big enough to have to grind the bottom off.  That can provides some support.    That appears to be a bubble in the epoxy.   IF you see a wire in that bubble id call ML.   They did a poor job of filling the coil.   We had that issue with the Xcal slimlines..... under filled coil casing lead to them splitting on the bottom.  What was happening was the lower rod head would wear and people kept cranking the bolt tighter and then leaning on their detector.

4 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

One guy was walking a hillside and broke his an ear.    As a water guy we tend to want to use the detector as a crutch while digging..... dont do that.   They seem to be harder than you think to break.   You can always use a Large nylon washer on the outside big enough to have to grind the bottom off.  That can provides some support.    That appears to be a bubble in the epoxy.   IF you see a wire in that bubble id call ML.   They did a poor job of filling the coil.   We had that issue with the Xcal slimlines..... under filled coil casing lead to them splitting on the bottom.  What was happening was the lower rod head would wear and people kept cranking the bolt tighter and then leaning on their detector.

Thanks for the tip on the coil. I just might use large plastic washers on the outside. There is no doubt this is the flimsiest coil I have ever owned.

On further inspection of the bottom, it appears to be some sort of small round graphite or carbon type material?  Defiantly not a bubble and has hard lines to it. This is why I asked. I thought it was part of the mfg process?  It sticks up about 1/32 to 1/16 above the very edge of the coil.  It is an issue because I am going to throw the coil cover in garbage and epoxy the bottom.  Well I am going to dremel it even with the coil so it does not act as a catch. Stay tuned.............Dave

Hey Dave,  Don't trash it, send the cover to me!, I'll even pay postage (unless your overseas somewhere)!  Just sayin.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

Welllllll you do know if you screw the pooch it could be years to get a replacement coil?  I use loctite marine epoxy on mine.   Its white and can easily be spread like peanut butter with your finger.  Hard as a rock when done.  The white color allows you to notice the ware better too.   So did you opt not to call ML?   They may well replace the coil for you.   I tried to get a replacement coil cover......... not available.

Dew

5 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Welllllll you do know if you screw the pooch it could be years to get a replacement coil?  I use loctite marine epoxy on mine.   Its white and can easily be spread like peanut butter with your finger.  Hard as a rock when done.  The white color allows you to notice the ware better too.   So did you opt not to call ML?   They may well replace the coil for you.   I tried to get a replacement coil cover......... not available.

Dew

I did not call minelab, I have zero time before I head to Mexico with it . I did test the coil ahead of time and it seemed to test well. I did take the dremel to it and it easily sanded down. I think it is some sort of spacer that migrated to the surface when the factory put the bedding compound into the coil over the wires. My only concern is water migration at that point. However I will make sure there is an extra level of epoxy protection when I do it. My throwing the coil cover in the garbage phrase is a bit facetious.......

Dave

It really isn't very hard to take the coil cover off and get sand etc. out. I didn't like it at first, but as I worked it into my after-detecting routine, it has become normal.

• Like 1

The only fault---if you can call it that----the coil cover needs to be greater in depth to cover  completely. Maybe this will be looked at shortly by M/L or an independent manufacturer. Other than that small point, I am pleased with my 800.

14 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

It really isn't very hard to take the coil cover off and get sand etc. out. I didn't like it at first, but as I worked it into my after-detecting routine, it has become normal.

I know how fast it took for sand migration to effect performance on the Sovereign. My guess the cover on the Nox coil and the open web  arms underneath the coils will only allow for a faster sand migration underneath. I fear many people will have issues within a 3-4 hr hunt  with how sensitive the equinox is. 

I will never have any of these issues. In my opinion minelab made a mistake by leaving open dirt/sand catch places on the bottom of their coils. They absolutely should have been filled.

Dave