Got My Nox 800 Today Two Coil Questions?

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

It appears to not be up to the task overall for water work, I'd consider returning it.

Well just no time. If the coil goes down in the allotted warranty period they will get it back. Putting epoxy on the coil will make no difference. In fact it is an upgrade.

43 minutes ago, midalake said:

Well just no time. If the coil goes down in the allotted warranty period they will get it back. Putting epoxy on the coil will make no difference. In fact it is an upgrade.

So you haven't had issues getting warranty replacements on epoxied coils? The epoxy won't help a flimsy design, especially weak coil ears, though.  Seems like a big chance to take water hunting with such a marginal, flimsy coil design with all the stress water hunting puts on coils.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

So you haven't had issues getting warranty replacements on epoxied coils? The epoxy won't help a flimsy design, especially weak coil ears, though.  Seems like a big chance to take water hunting with such a marginal, flimsy coil design with all the stress water hunting puts on coils.

Out of all the coils I have owned since about 10 years old the only failure has been of the outer sheath covering the coil wires.  Well this Equinox coils seems to have the flimsiest ears on a coil I have ever owned.....time will tell. 

I had that discussing about epoxy with ML some years back.    As long as the epoxy was marine epoxy and didnt degrade/cause damage they had no problem with it.  However....... they did have an issue with bed liner because some contained metal flakes that affected the tuning.   I also believe if you have a CTX and check those ears....... they are the same size..... only difference is the supports.    The CTX one make an X under the coil ..... the Nox is flat.   I dont think we are going to have an issue with those ears if the CTX hasnt. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 6:34 PM, midalake said:

Well this Equinox coils seems to have the flimsiest ears on a coil I have ever owned.....time will tell.

The strength of the coil attachment isn't based solely on the ears, but also the nut&bolt design, the shaft mounting design, and the implementation.  IMO, all of these integrated together on the Equinox make the coil attachment the most robust of any of my detectors.  Frankly I find it hard to understand how someone broke off an ear if all the parts were properly attached and reasonably tightened.  Now if the coil were sitting alone on the ground/floor and someone stepped on it....

Adding anything to strengthen the attachment runs the risk of doing the opposite by overriding the integrity of the design.

Big boy....... side of a hill .... bad angle and possible leaning on the machine to dig.    As a water guy ....... many have that bad habit when using the scoop out there...... we love using the machine to balance ourselves while we are getting pushed around and dig.   Some have broken coil ears by allowing the lower shaft rubbers to wear ..... which wears that head......... which makes them crank down that bolt to much..... add that to water torque..... and it happens.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

Big boy....... side of a hill .... bad angle and possible leaning on the machine to dig.    As a water guy ....... many have that bad habit when using the scoop out there...... we love using the machine to balance ourselves while we are getting pushed around and dig.   Some have broken coil ears by allowing the lower shaft rubbers to wear ..... which wears that head......... which makes them crank down that bolt to much..... add that to water torque..... and it happens.

Hi Dew

Well we know the Nox coil is no Sov. coil. One would be pressed to break the  Sov. ears with a ball peen hammer. I do not use it as a crutch, however I do pin it under neath my arm to the bottom while digging. On this new set-up I got from doc's the rubber washers are much bigger and will put more contact to the ears.Larger washers, more contact = harder to wear out.  Any of us who hunt the sand know how the sand just eats those inside rubber coil washers. Yes water torque and 4-5 ft waves worry me. Dave 

I didnt have the ML shaft on long enough to find out how they wear.   BUT....... i can tell you on say the Xcal those rubber do no good.....by time you crank the bolt its right against that head starting to wear.   I started using a Whites tall boy lower shaft with some larger rubbers on the Xcals....... Plugger passed me that idea.