GPS Recommendations?

My "Old Faithful" Garmin GPSMap 60CSx appears to be reaching the end of its serviceable life, after years of being dropped on rocks,  bikes, down slopes, drenched, fallen into rivers, taped onto dogs, and being the point of contact on its bike mount between Terra Firma and myself head over heels on my mountain bike. Starting to malfunction a tad if you can believe it!  Can't say enough good about it  - some of the best money I ever spent bar none :)

I do a ton of work with Google Earth plotting targets, claims and such. My stompin' grounds are devoid of cellular data, so any device that is DetectorProspector approved and might have some capabilities for satellite imagery, overlays - I would really appreciate guidance.

rex

Stick with the Band you know, you know it's software. Garmin has BirdsEye option for for satellite imagery so get one of their GPS that can use it.

• Like 1

For overlays, and Birdsey, I use Garmin Montana.  But realize they are in the very high price range.  The Garmin Oregon has similar capabilities and is a little cheaper.

Selling point for me was definitely the overlays and having a big screen.  My small screen etrex drove me nuts .. but it was still a great gps.

Thanks to all suggestions, and the cross post Steve.

For a dedicated device, I'm leaning towards a Rino 750 because of the 2 way radio; the 755t looks loaded with unnecessary bells and whistles. Although the huge display on the Montana is a draw.. Like the Montana the Rinos are compatible with "Garmin Custom Maps" function.  I doubt the phone based apps have hardware that is as accurate under foliage, are as power efficient, or robust.

With a dedicated device, there is also something very cathartic about turning off the phone stuffing it in the pack and going walkabout. 

The OziExplorer app for Android seems a tad sketchy - searched the Google Play store for it on two different devices - each diverts to "Soviet Military Maps Free". Odd that the only way to get it is from a non-certified 3rd party web site - I'll take a pass. The Backcountry Navigator looks good though for the Android.

rex

Yeah, Oziexplorer officially is not on google play (to my knowledge), go direct tp Oziexplorer AU webpage and you`ll find the android app., but you need the PC version also to scan, download and georeference the map images then transfer to the android device It is a powerful piece of software that allows you to work with images in a fair few formats. I have been using it since the 90s, replacing Fugawi as my preferred moving map software, long before todays navigators.

Unfortunately it cannot convert worked maps into a format for the Garmins  otherwise I`d have them on my Rino 750, it has a utility that can convert and transfer maps to Magellans, but takes some experimenting. 

The rhino is the GPS i got when they were first released in Australia brought 4 of them 1 for the wife,1 for me, 1 spare and my son paid for the 4th for his trail bike riding. Garmin was giving a good deal for a twin pack.The built in radio and partners location ability together with the graphic screen were the deciding way back then. Still happy with the Rhinos.