Gpaa Claims Vs. Blm Land

18 hours ago, Noah (FL) said:

Probably just give it a shot with my MakroMK or Tesoro Mojave.   I know they aren't ideal specialized nugget machines, but both are capable of detecting tiny bits....

Of these two, the Mojave has the advantage in weight (2.2 lb vs. 3.0 lb).  If you got either of the optional coils for the Multi Kruzer, then weight appears to be the only advantage for gold hunting of the two.  Frequency (Mojave@12 kHz, MK selectable 19 kHz) is a clear advantage for the MK.  The MK's 'gen' mode provides minimally filtered operation which is a near requirement for native gold hunting.  Even if you only have the stock 7"x11" DD coil for the MK it should be the preferred choice.  Obviously take the Mojave along as a backup.

18 hours ago, Noah (FL) said:

...and at this point I'm in it more for the adventure.

Good attitude.  Your first time out (even your first few times out), unless you have a master gold detectorist along as a mentor, will likely be purely learning experiences (that is, without finding gold).  I recommend watching the following video (more than once!) to clue you in on how to set up your detector.  Native gold compared to coins/relics/jewelry is very different when it comes to setup and approach.

• Like 2

I have a 5x9 for the Makro, but I almost always have my Mojave when I travel. It's so easy to pack the control box and coil in a carry on and the rods and a trowel in the checked bag!  I work with touring bands so get a lot of opportunities to jewelry hunt at festival sites and amphitheaters with lawn seating, and a lot of theaters and arenas  seem to be cozied up to old parks/ green spaces in down town areas that surprisingly must not see that many detectorists!

Thanks for the video link.  I've watched a few of his talking videos.  Very knowledgable guy,  it was a seminar/talk of his that finally made me understand the whole threshold versus sensitivity concept.  

• Like 1

I value these comments and the video above. Have considered and looked into GPAA membership for both my wife and I last year, but had ruled it out due to us only being in Alaska and vacationing only here too, by choice. So the membership doesn't seem to offer much in terms of claim access here ... Canyon Creek/ Six Mile which I have read is a top area, but where else are there GPAA claims?

As is, we hit the public panning areas, BLM sites, claims I have permission to detect on (Dutch Hills), and Crow Creek which for two days costs half of what a GPAA annual membership is for both of us but is worth it, yet GPAA membership doesn't seem to be. Gold is good but am just as much fixated on gaining as much experience as I can per summer with the ATX and GB2 irrelevant of what I dig.

I say all this to gain feedback/ criticism of my thinking process, whatever may apply.