Glad to see somebody is living the dream and admits to having old age aches and pains. So, its not just me that has them.

I seem to remember seeing some mini excavators at Northern Tool company in USA, 3-6 grand I think it was.

I had to quit using my number 2 shovel this year due to severe lower back pain. Have modified a beach scoop I was using while metal detecting for coins at the swim beach.I covered up the holes in the bottom of the scoop and use it like a micro excavator.  I dug an 18 inch deep hole with it this past weekend, material for my sluice. No awful lower back pains afterwards. So, hopefully I can keep going with this hobby a bit yet.

-Tom V.

• Like 3

Hi Mac, What I mean by detectorist site is, it's great of Steve H. to include a link on his site to let us that are into both Placer Mining & Detecting, share some experience's while doing both. And yes it does make it easier to detect any creek bed without water, all that easy gold has long been found though.( I believe some of this was found by Steve H. and his dad ? ) In my situation when water is lowest ( end of season ) I have to get down and dirty and find the cracks and open them up till I either find the gold or solid bedrock, which makes a quality detector a most important tool !!!

And yes I am spoiled, live right next to K.River, and it's a short wheeler ride to claim.   

And yes tvanwho you can find similar machine's, but what made my decision easy was the fact that my Gan-So-Digger is simply made of square tube and flat plate easy to repair and add to. ( stabilizer legs and jaw teeth for grabbing and holding whatever the machine can grab and lift. ) But no matter what machine, like I have mentioned before, they beat a #2 shovel !!!  :cool: 

13 hours ago, tvanwho said:

severe lower back pain.

what every prospector and miner fears, yet faces as a result of the physically demanding work we love to do  ... sorry to hear of this, how are you managing this pain/ injury? 

2 hours ago, Dig It said:

What I mean by detectorist site is

Thank you for educating me ... I forget that a "site" refers to a website ... on my mind at all times is everything gold related, and so when I see the word "site" immediately is the visualization of some prospecting/ mining site in the world ... kind of funny really how my mind is in gold OCD mode. Agreed! Steve H and his dad found all of the easy gold everywhere in Alaska long by now! But I still look ... odds are good there is some easy gold remaining here or there ... whenever I dig and find ferrous stuff deep in the ground, I just can't help but remember Steve's own words x time in the past: digging up trash in heavily detected/ mined areas in rich gold bearing districts means that that trash wasn't detected/ found before, thus it's logical that gold wasn't detected/ found either in that same area ... stay healthy and successful!

• Like 1