Vdi Numbers For Various UK Coins

I have realised that know one can rely on VDI numbers alone. But as we know, working together with tone response, we can at least give give ourselves the best possible chance of digging a good target.

Tones are very distinct and take time and patience to learn, for example coins are very clean tones which have a unique but subtle signature. Target size is another indicator (Again as we know).

This is a list of VDI's tested in soil and at depths i would expect to find certain coins. For example a 1 penny at 3 inches max.  A 1919 Penny at around 5 inches. (All depths from my own experience, yours may be different of course).

There are lots of disclaimers involved with this experiment.  And the following can all effect VDI:

1. Soil type/Wet/dry conditions

2. Depth.

3. Program type, i.e park 1/2 - field 1/2 etc. +other settings.

4. Masked with other targets.

5. Local EMI.

Therefore to try and give as accurate data as possible, here were my settings for this test.

Park 2 - 5 tones - sensitivity 19 - Recovery speed 4 - Iron bias 0 - and of course ground balances manually and EMI checked.

BAD TARGETS:

Modern Penny           = 24-25

Modern 2 pence         = 27-28

5p                                  = 11

Ringpul                        = 15

1 Pound (out of date) = 20-21

Old Ten Pence             = 13

GOOD TARGETS:

Small silver Victorian sixpence = 21-22-23  (A nice little unique signature, as it skipped between the 3 VDI's. NICE!!!

Large George third sixpence = 26-27-28 (Again a nice signature)

1900 +1800 Penny  = 22-23

Half penny                = 18-19

Lead bullet (Bad tone)

Threepence              = 22-23

Two shilling              = 15-16

One shilling               = 13

Roman lead weight  = 16

Roman bronze          = 11

These were my results which i will stick (via sticky label) to my detector handle.  Would i not dig a target if its on the bad list?  Well again together with tone, i may still dig it.  Whether or not this is a good thing to do - (the sticker on my detector) , it still gives me an indicator, and that's fun and nice to know, and that's good enough.

Happy hunting. 

Oh and gold ladies ring 22kt = 16 at depth / and =17 @ 3-4 inches depth