Sign in to follow this  
midalake

Another Awesome Shaft Option For The Nox

I was looking for an option to do away with the 3 piece Minelab system. I came across the rods Doc makes for the gold hunters.  I might be the first one shipped to use on the Nox. I like the stuff gold guys have, they swing big coils and are in tough conditions.

This is a good price point on this 2 piece system. Also great for tall persons. I am splitting with someone but for $230  we received two fiberglass lowers and a carbon fiber upper each for a unit cost of $115.  Be aware this is for the rods  only.  I have added pictures   and in the pictures you can see I have added my own Minelab two piece alum. cuff with neoprene covering [i think one of the best cuffs made].  I have also added a separate hand hold and will not use the detector itself to swing the rod. There are no holes for the Nox arm cuff or control unit you will need to drill for these.  Dave

DSC00812.JPG

DSC00813.JPG

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NAGANT said:

How long are the uppers and does it come with that twist-lock?

The carbon fiber upper is 34" long and it fits in my check bag on an angle. The twist-lock is included,  Dave

• Like 2

Sorry, but that looks awkward with moving the handle forward and adding yours.   Its got to throw even more of the weight forward.   I assume you had to drill your own holes (as well as adjustment ones) and you added your cuff..... which was what $30.... but i guess you could have used the ML one.   You are getting awfully close to the Andersons price now..... and you get the cuff and all drilled and dont have that twist lock.   Hey but its an option just like Pluggers or making your own using the ML lower and cuff with a piece of CF...... for about $60.

26 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

Sorry, but that looks awkward with moving the handle forward and adding yours.   Its got to throw even more of the weight forward.   I assume you had to drill your own holes (as well as adjustment ones) and you added your cuff..... which was what $30.... but i guess you could have used the ML one.   You are getting awfully close to the Andersons price now..... and you get the cuff and all drilled and dont have that twist lock.   Hey but its an option just like Pluggers or making your own using the ML lower and cuff with a piece of CF...... for about $60.

Well no doubt different options. I had the cuff from other acquisitions. Also don't forget for the $115 TWO lowers and the carbon upper. No holes to drill for the cuff I had, it was set.  When I get a second coil I will have the other lower rod ready to go. The rods are complete with adjustment hole drilled and  twist lock. I did have to drill a hole for the Nox.

As for the pistol grip, it does not seem weight forward. With the stress of water/beach hunting I want to stay off the case with my big paw. 

The link below is what we purchased and just added another carbon upper to that order.

https://www.robsdetectors.com/carbon-fiber-bundle-set/

Free shipping and I had a 5% coupon off.    Dave

Is that the same DOC out in Vegas?   Ive meteor  hunted with one of the older guys there quit a few years back.   Not a bad combo for the lowers with their length if you are a tall guy.  

3 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Is that the same DOC out in Vegas?   Ive meteor  hunted with one of the older guys there quit a few years back.   Not a bad combo for the lowers with their length if you are a tall guy.  

Yep the same "Doc" in Vegas.  The rods work well being 6'4. Also a good amount of overlap makes the set-up solid as a rock.  Dave

Certain i dont have to tell you...... but for those who just stated water hunting.   You best remove your lower shaft after each salt water use or in aluminum especially it WILL lock up.   Good idea to do it just before you get out of the water .... looses and move it a bit.   Otherwise having additional lower shaft with the coils attached wont do you a lot of good.   Most of the time i make my own and really dont care that they lock up since i rarely remove the lower...... just the coil occasionally to check for wear.  Just throw in the SUV and go.   Now i have a travel shaft by putting the ML one away as well.

7 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Certain i dont have to tell you...... but for those who just stated water hunting.   You best remove your lower shaft after each salt water use or in aluminum especially it WILL lock up.  

Well I learned my lock-up lesson many moons ago. I would like to share a tip on what I do. I coat the shaft with a light coat of white grease. I seal all other height adjustment holes with black electric tape. About once every month I slip the lower out, clean, re-grease and good for another month.  Dave 

• Like 1

Midalake........... did you see the new sand-seal plug Chuck (Sun-Spot Scoops) is selling for the Nox?  Simple enough ...... interesting to see if it works.   I drill a fairly good size hole just about the coil connector to drain water and sand......... Ive given up on thinking i can keep water out of my shaft as much time as its underwater.  We have some very fine sand where i live.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By tsunamiscott
      I've only had my 800 for about a week, so I made some simple ID cards using Steve's graphic, to get familiar with the machine.  I have extras, and with Steve's permission, I'm offering 1 to the first 50 interested.  These are simple, pocket size, laminated cards, with large bold font. Target IDs on the front, detector settings menu on the back.
      Edit 2/19/19 by Steve Herschbach. The offer to mail you one of these free is long past. Just download the pdf, print, and laminate your own.
      idcardfinal.pdf

• By juanjo4747
      Hi everyone,
      New here based in the UK about to start this hobby. Looking at getting the equinox 600 or 800 for its underwater capabilities. 
      One question I have which I have struggled to find an answer to... How do the waterproof seals handle the pressure on air travel? Is there a pressure release valve?
      Also is it recommend to detach the control box and take on carry on luggage?
      Thanks in advance and looking forward to being part of this community 
      Bruce 
    • By Steve Herschbach
      NUGGET SHOOTER JOURNALS Published on Feb 12, 2019 - In this video I am using the Minelab Equinox 800 in "gold 1", sensitivity "16 to 18", Multi IQ, and auto tracking. Rest of the settings are stock. It amazes me what this little beast if a VLF detector will do in hot ground (minerals) and finding the smallest bits of gold for the operator. Beautiful area with lots of Agate and other cool stuff just laying on the ground.

• By Jeff McClendon
      Hi,
      I couldn't wait to get the Equinox 800 to Arizona for some gold prospecting especially since the area in Colorado where I live is frozen pretty solid. 
      The first site I hunted was in the Little San Domingo Wash area which has been pounded by lots of people for over a hundred years. I used the Nox 800 exclusively in Gold 2 with the 6" coil due to an abundance of human metallic trash, with sensitivity at 15 to 16 (falsed over those settings) with -9 to -4 discriminated out, iron bias 3 or 4, recovery speed 4. Hot rocks were hitting in the -9 to -6 range and also sometimes in the 12 to 14 range with the classic boing sound just at the edges of the coil and almost nulling in the center. I dug every detected metallic target in roughly a 30'x40' area. Iron targets were consistently in the -9 to +16 range depending on depth, size and amount of oxidation.  Many of them jumped that whole range depending on direction of swing. When I was not using the horseshoe (all targets accepted mode) the iron targets would have very brittle, broken, clipped sounding audio and would be easy to identify just by sound alone. 100% of the time I checked those targets by pressing the horseshoe button and iron was suggested with -4 to -9 numbers included in the very jumpy target IDs. After digging each of these targets, (60 or so) iron was confirmed. I detected 19 non ferrous targets which all turned out to be lead, brass, aluminum or steel bird shot. Small lead, aluminum and shot gave beautiful evenly rounded tones and target IDs in the -1 to 4 range which were very steady and repeatable even after checking the target from a different direction. Larger lead and shell casings came in between 8 and 20 consistently with even, repeatable tones and solid numbers.
      The two nuggets pictured were both found near other targets, which is probably why they were missed. The .5 gram nugget was 4" deep with an iron target about 2" away and above the nugget. I never heard the iron initially. I only heard the classic zip-zip with a solid 3 target ID. When the horseshoe button was engaged I could hear and see target ID evidence of the iron target too. The two targets were clearly and separately defined and easy to identify as ferrous and non-ferrous. I was really exited to find that small nugget attached to caliche in that situation!  The 4.5 gram nugget was 5" down, up against a large piece of hot volcanic tuft/basalt bedrock. The Nox 800 gave soft boings on the bedrock in several places near the nugget but the nugget screamed out a fantastic round signal at a rock solid 14. I thought it was going to be a 38 cal. or bigger slug. I was really surprised when I saw that first bit of gold peaking through the dirt!!!!! I lucked out on one other tiny picker at this location too during final clean up with the XP Deus.
      I also got to detect near Stanton on some placer/pegmatite deposits with tons of hot and cold rocks, huge prickly pear cactus and my least favorite----cat's claw bushes=OUCH. I completely shredded a virtually new pair of gloves on those things along with my hands too. I didn't find any gold with either my GPX 4800, XP Deus or the Nox 800. The GPX 4800 is one deep machine and hunted beautifully in this rugged area. I dug several up to 1 foot deep, less than coin sized lead, iron and tin targets that could have easily been gold with a NF Sadie and stock 11" mono coils. Any thing bigger was just not very practical since this was a boulder strewn, thorny area with very little open ground. The Deus with 9" HF coil at 54kHz handled the hot and cold rocks fairly well and was reasonably quiet in Gold Field. It always gave excellent audio responses to detectable targets and gave a predictable horizontal XY graph line for buried iron targets and very angular zig zags on near surface iron. Lead targets had more of a rounded, almost cursive writing indication on the XY graph which looks a lot like gold responses. The Nox 800 with 6" coil in Gold 2 again gave very clear indications of what to expect from the targets under the coil and after digging, those indications were confirmed every time with no surprises. There was some nasty hot magnetic schist, cold ironstone and unbelievable amounts of magnetite which sometimes confused the Deus and especially the GPX 4800. The Nox dealt with them very consistently with the magnetite giving iron signals, the magnetic schist reading in the 12 to 14 range and the cold ironstone high pitched VCO screaming at 39.
      Special thanks to Bill Southern and Tammy and also Rob Allison for their guidance during my fruitful trip.
      The Equinox 800 proved to be an outstanding and very trustworthy prospecting detector!
      Jeff

• By Natew1214
      Steve Have you ever heard of this problem and tell me if you think you know what it is... I have a Equinox 600 and I got vdi issues where I will be swinging the Detector hit a signal and then not want to dig that and keep swinging and it will show another vdi and then freezes up while I'm still swinging and then -- will show and then after six seconds or so 00 and then go again and same thing and I have turned sensitivity to 20, recovery speed 3 iron bias 2 and ground balance on auto tracking.... I also will swing over a vdi and it will jump and lower and jump and lower. And on pinpointer mode it sometimes won't have audio but I back out and try again it does. This is for sure a bug. Right?
    • By groundscanner
      My brother and I are having issues with Field 2 and what is apparently ground noise (constant low level grunting).     So much so that I have to find a clean spot for ground balancing in Field 1 and then switch to Field 2 to balance.  I am assuming that our soil here in Mississippi is mild.  On our last hunt I was running sensitivity of 20, Iron Bias 0, and a recovery speed of 3.  The site is not overload with trash and iron.  In "all metal" we are getting constant grunting.  Switching to Field 1 clears the background noise up and allows us to hear just the iron. 
      Is there anything we can do to reduce the ground noise in Field 2?
      Thanks!!