Another Awesome Shaft Option For The Nox

I was looking for an option to do away with the 3 piece Minelab system. I came across the rods Doc makes for the gold hunters.  I might be the first one shipped to use on the Nox. I like the stuff gold guys have, they swing big coils and are in tough conditions.

This is a good price point on this 2 piece system. Also great for tall persons. I am splitting with someone but for $230  we received two fiberglass lowers and a carbon fiber upper each for a unit cost of $115.  Be aware this is for the rods  only.  I have added pictures   and in the pictures you can see I have added my own Minelab two piece alum. cuff with neoprene covering [i think one of the best cuffs made].  I have also added a separate hand hold and will not use the detector itself to swing the rod. There are no holes for the Nox arm cuff or control unit you will need to drill for these.  Dave

DSC00812.JPG

DSC00813.JPG

43 minutes ago, NAGANT said:

How long are the uppers and does it come with that twist-lock?

The carbon fiber upper is 34" long and it fits in my check bag on an angle. The twist-lock is included,  Dave

• Like 1

Sorry, but that looks awkward with moving the handle forward and adding yours.   Its got to throw even more of the weight forward.   I assume you had to drill your own holes (as well as adjustment ones) and you added your cuff..... which was what $30.... but i guess you could have used the ML one.   You are getting awfully close to the Andersons price now..... and you get the cuff and all drilled and dont have that twist lock.   Hey but its an option just like Pluggers or making your own using the ML lower and cuff with a piece of CF...... for about $60.

26 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

Sorry, but that looks awkward with moving the handle forward and adding yours.   Its got to throw even more of the weight forward.   I assume you had to drill your own holes (as well as adjustment ones) and you added your cuff..... which was what $30.... but i guess you could have used the ML one.   You are getting awfully close to the Andersons price now..... and you get the cuff and all drilled and dont have that twist lock.   Hey but its an option just like Pluggers or making your own using the ML lower and cuff with a piece of CF...... for about $60.

Well no doubt different options. I had the cuff from other acquisitions. Also don't forget for the $115 TWO lowers and the carbon upper. No holes to drill for the cuff I had, it was set.  When I get a second coil I will have the other lower rod ready to go. The rods are complete with adjustment hole drilled and  twist lock. I did have to drill a hole for the Nox.

As for the pistol grip, it does not seem weight forward. With the stress of water/beach hunting I want to stay off the case with my big paw. 

The link below is what we purchased and just added another carbon upper to that order.

https://www.robsdetectors.com/carbon-fiber-bundle-set/

Free shipping and I had a 5% coupon off.    Dave

3 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Is that the same DOC out in Vegas?   Ive meteor  hunted with one of the older guys there quit a few years back.   Not a bad combo for the lowers with their length if you are a tall guy.  

Yep the same "Doc" in Vegas.  The rods work well being 6'4. Also a good amount of overlap makes the set-up solid as a rock.  Dave

Certain i dont have to tell you...... but for those who just stated water hunting.   You best remove your lower shaft after each salt water use or in aluminum especially it WILL lock up.   Good idea to do it just before you get out of the water .... looses and move it a bit.   Otherwise having additional lower shaft with the coils attached wont do you a lot of good.   Most of the time i make my own and really dont care that they lock up since i rarely remove the lower...... just the coil occasionally to check for wear.  Just throw in the SUV and go.   Now i have a travel shaft by putting the ML one away as well.

7 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Certain i dont have to tell you...... but for those who just stated water hunting.   You best remove your lower shaft after each salt water use or in aluminum especially it WILL lock up.  

Well I learned my lock-up lesson many moons ago. I would like to share a tip on what I do. I coat the shaft with a light coat of white grease. I seal all other height adjustment holes with black electric tape. About once every month I slip the lower out, clean, re-grease and good for another month.  Dave 

• Like 1

Midalake........... did you see the new sand-seal plug Chuck (Sun-Spot Scoops) is selling for the Nox?  Simple enough ...... interesting to see if it works.   I drill a fairly good size hole just about the coil connector to drain water and sand......... Ive given up on thinking i can keep water out of my shaft as much time as its underwater.  We have some very fine sand where i live.