Beach Ground Balance

I"m enjoying considerable success on the beach working in both the dry and wet sand using the default settings beach one.  This leads on to my question----do I need to ground balance, either manually or auto ?  Some say yes and others say no---why have manual gb when this can be changed to auto gb ?  Getting good signals at good depth so why try and fix it if it aint broke .?  I do believe that we all try and get the best out of our machines.  Mossy99.   [ forgot to add---my post not my son aka staffy33 ]

That will depend upon the beach conditions

Things like black sand, a shallow clay base, varying base types on a beach, weed or wave action (in the water) etc may require a GB

Where I hunt I am usually OK most spots out of the water but in the water wading requires GB

If you are happy then dont change it I would say ?

As an experiment though, you could  bury a small target deep in wet sand to see if it makes any difference between the 2 for you ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NSC said:

That will depend upon the beach conditions

Things like black sand, a shallow clay base, varying base types on a beach, weed or wave action (in the water) etc may require a GB

Where I hunt I am usually OK most spots out of the water but in the water wading requires GB

If you are happy then dont change it I would say ?

As an experiment though, you could  bury a small target deep in wet sand to see if it makes any difference between the 2 for you ?

Thanks for your comment------I"m always ready to experiment.

I dont know that i agree about manual GB being required in the water unless you just have to much mineral noise like Gordon Heritage said.    The question then becomes where to GB?   If i do it mid-wet sand i get a 14...... which is fixed in manual GB.   That could put me above finding smaller gold going into Beach 2 which is working with reduced power (about 1/2).   Tracking......to me isnt the best either its like a roller coaster based on minerals and may affect depth over the default.   To me the default ..... gets chatty yes near/on hard pan and less in the fluffier stuff.   This is one of those questions even the gurus havent really answered for beach hunting.   Very subjective depending on who you ask and why they use what they do.....and of course the beach.   As you can tell we dont have a lot of minerals here.

1 hour ago, dewcon4414 said:

This is one of those questions even the gurus havent really answered for beach hunting.

They use a pi machine :laugh:

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

In the water ML recommends tracking.  There is enough salinity density changes due to surf action that the GB tracking algorithm should be be able to grab onto it and if there is black sand it will work too.  Set it and forget it.  

Yes Chase they state Tracking may be useful in salt water

( for those that want a look - page 41 of the manual ).

I am a believer and often use Tracking when wading in the ocean as it settles my machine down and minimises  falsing

I wish I could get in the water now but its freezing down here - maybe I will dig out the waders and forget about the wetsuit ☺️ for a while

I use fishing boots that go just below the knee.  It keeps the sand away from my feet.  The 'trick' was to find some without metal.

They're out there.

Mitchel

PS ... I sometimes track and sometimes not.  I've found targets and turned it on and off and don't notice much difference.