This Coil Is Now Battle Ready!

I Love sho-goo.  the stuff comes in black and clear.  It’s a synthetic rubber which hardens to make a solid bond with just about anything.  I use it to mount receiver sights and scope mounts on old guns which were not drilled and tapped or did not have dovetails. Absolutely rock solid when cured. Excess/squeeze out easily cleaned up with a scalpel or razor blade.

When you want to remove it just hit it with your heat gun and it goes soft at somewhere over 250F - you just peel it away.

• Like 1

Hmm, how's about the extra weight it adds? Where do you hunt most? I don't think the bottom needs extra protection, but the edges, as I often hit stuff lying around.

Obviously Minelab left the buttom open to save weight. While it shouldn't be a problem to close those structures production-wise, they probably left it open, so the coil wouldn't float in the water. Still searchin for something lightweight that doesn't float to close those wholes...every gram counts :smile:

6 minutes ago, Sinclair said:

Hmm, how's about the extra weight it adds? Where do you hunt most? I don't think the bottom needs extra protection, but the edges, as I often hit stuff lying around.

Obviously Minelab left the buttom open to save weight. While it shouldn't be a problem to close those structures production-wise, they probably left it open, so the coil wouldn't float in the water. Still searchin for something lightweight that doesn't float to close those wholes...every gram counts :smile:

I hunt the beach exclusively now, but for years I hunted land and water with epoxied coils in fact I hunted land way before water. Holding the coil cover in my hand I doubt the dried product on the coil added much extra weight.  In holding my 10" sovereign coil and the Nox coil I can tell you the Nox coil is lighter hands down.

Other comments:

99% sure the work did not change the buoyancy of the coil.

The bottom most definitely needs protection in the form of cover or epoxy.

Minelab left the bottom open to cheap out.

Dave

I hunt the beach exclusively, too.. buttom of the coil cover looks ok. I have some stony beaches + often hunt at night.. so here and there I hit something :unsure: I think if I haven't had the coilcover with it's little protective edge on, my coil wouldn't be so healthy anymore. It really depends on the conditions you're hunting in.

7 minutes ago, Sinclair said:

I hunt the beach exclusively, too.. buttom of the coil cover looks ok. I have some stony beaches + often hunt at night.. so here and there I hit something :unsure: I think if I haven't had the coilcover with it's little protective edge on, my coil wouldn't be so healthy anymore. It really depends on the conditions you're hunting in.

Just for you. I just tried to put my coil cover on and it snapped on like a boss. So if one is careful and does not slop a lot of product over the sides one can still use the cover if deemed necessary. ?

• Like 1

Tripple protection - I like :laugh:

Other question:

I've often heard about Shoe-Goo or Goop - what is it technically? Over here in germany it seems way overpriced. I often used a car body sealant / adhesive, which seems to glue together anything you can imagine. I've even glued stainless steel on concrete with that stuff.. It doesn't need air to dry and it doesn't smell like it contains solvent.. if it even smells at all.

6 minutes ago, Sinclair said:

Tripple protection - I like :laugh:

Other question:

I've often heard about Shoe-Goo or Goop - what is it technically? Over here in germany it seems way overpriced. I often used a car body sealant / adhesive, which seems to glue together anything you can imagine. I've even glued stainless steel on concrete with that stuff.. It doesn't need air to dry and it doesn't smell like it contains solvent.. if it even smells at all.

As the poster  Rick stated maybe like a synthetic  rubber. It acts like a 100% silicone product but tougher. I would of used 100% silicone as well but did not have any here. Shoe goo does not have a harsh smell.  Dave 

May I ask.... Why do you use shoo goo & epoxy if you have a coil cover?

Thnx