Mirror Mirror

mn90403

Well, I'm going to tell you I found a new 'category' of item this morning with the 800.  I'm at the beach where I found a piece of .925 silver hoop, a puka necklace and just over $1.50.  I hear this somewhat 'strange' wobble but not negative.  It is repeatable so I dig.  Upon digging I see this piece of glass and I'm glad to take it out of the beach/surf but then the signal is gone.  What?  Can't be the piece of mirror but it is ...

Has anyone found mirror pieces with a detector before?

IMG_9607.JPG

IMG_9608.JPG

• Like 1

A glass mirror is manufactured by coating silver and two layers of protective paint on the back surface of glass.

Looks like your mirror find has been coated with extra thick silver, it is the silver coating which makes the glass reflective.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Randy Dee said:

A glass mirror is manufactured by coating silver and two layers of protective paint on the back surface of glass.

Yes, that's typical for a standard specular mirror, the kind to see one's reflection.  Aluminum is the modern replacement for silver since it is less susceptable to  tarnishing.  This one doesn't appear to have a specular but rather diffuse (scattering) surface.  I wonder if it's some kind of paint which has a lot of ground up metal (aluminum?) rather than an evaporated (modern method) or disolved (old fashioned method) deposition.

Mitchell, when you said:

4 hours ago, mn90403 said:

It is repeatable so I dig.  Upon digging I see this piece of glass and I'm glad to take it out of the beach/surf but then the signal is gone.

did you mean the detector didn't signal on the find after you pulled it out of the sand?

Possible halo effect if the mirror no longer gives a signal maybe?

Wow!, That's a scary item to find in the beach sand!!!  Have found lots of knives but no glass mirrors.  That's one for the books.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

When I dug the piece away from the hole I thought I was still going to find a signal where I was digging but it was gone.  The piece of glass I put in my finds pouch.  I took it back out and placed it on the wet sand and the signal I heard was back.  It jumps around a bit but mostly under 10.

I have a bedroom, beveled glass silver mirror that is an antique.  This glass quality and construction of this find with the red backing paint does not remind me of that era.  This glass transmits light through it but is somewhat 'softened' and the edges don't feel sharp, like shards would come from it but it would break when struck.  The rounded edge is the original edge and you can see some of the leaching under that area by the elements eating away at the reflective layer.

I've also attached a picture of the other items with the mirror.

IMG_9610.JPG

• Like 1