Coil Recommendation

So my main gold producing creek pretty much drys up in the late summer, and im wanting to detect the active creek channel.  Overburden runs from about 3 feet at the deepest to exposed bedrock at the shallowest.  Ounce nuggets were found somewhere in the creek in the old days and ive found up to a 13 gram nugget under about 6 inches to 12 inches of overburden.  

For punching deep in a creek bed with some water in pools, what coil would you recommend for a GPX 4800?  My current coils arnt water proof, and i have yet to find a large nugget in the exposed bedrock.  

Im currently looking at a 14 inch mono and possibly a 14X9 mono to complement it.  Not sure on the brand yet.  The new detechs look interesting and seem well priced.  

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

• 3 weeks later...

The only coil I ever stuck in the water while using a Minelab PI was the Coiltek Platypus coil. At 12" x 8" not super deep however, but they were waterproof. And apparently out of production now.

Most stream bottoms are pretty irregular where you might find gold - a flat bottom in not a good sign. More like "big rocks, big gold". That being the case going too large may not be the best idea anyway. I would lean 14" x 9" for that reason instead of round - to better get in tight places.

Steve - 

Thanks for the input!  I have the platypus DD but i have been very disappointed in its performance.  Below are some pictures of what my main stream looks like.  It is basically boulder free, but still has big gold in it, Virginia seems to be a different animal for nugget hunting lol.  I do have a detech 21X17 butterfly DD coil that is waterproof that i need to mess around with in the creek here.  I was impressed that in air testing (for what its worth) it was picking up a 1.7 gram nugget at about 10 inches.  

IMG_20170802_173740171.thumb.jpg.06972a0cd77693efa78cbdf64bb59dc0.jpg

20180407_142525.thumb.jpg.cea693090da393cbbebfda44f7887ed9.jpg
  • Like 2