Need Advice On Equinox 600.. Taking A Trip And Wife Wants To Use It

Norm S

I am planning my fall trip for this year and my wife and I enjoy visiting old ghost towns, mining camps and national monuments. I plan on spending a week in NM and a week in northern AZ and NV. I also plan on trying the gold mode on my E-800 and my wife wants to use my E-600. She has only metal detected with me a cpl of times but the lure of mine tailings and areas that are known for placer gold intrigues her and she wants to metal detect. 

My question is what would be the best settings on the E-600 for her to help find gold.. I don't want her to think because there is no gold setting on the 600 that it won't find gold. I have only used the 600 on the beach in beach 1 & 2 and been using no discrimination which works well for me with very little or no chatter at all.

I am asking which mode would be best if she were to prowl around tailing piles or placer gold areas.

I know her well enough that if she thinks for one minute she couldn't find gold with it she would say why did you even bring it along

1 hour ago, Norm S said:

My question is what would be the best settings on the E-600 for her to help find gold.

Pretty sure Steve H. has advised on this multiple times.  My recollection of his suggestion:  Field 2.

1 hour ago, Norm S said:

I know her well enough that if she thinks for one minute she couldn't find gold with it she would say why did you even bring it along

How many hours of searching without finding gold will she say the same thing?

Great setup info, Phrunt - but just one minor tweak to the above to avoid confusion.  For the 600, the equivalent recovery speed is 3 (=6 on the 800).  You can either change the default discrimination pattern to accept 1 and 2 or you can just hunt in AM.  Norm, I suggest you challenge YOURSELF and try to find some Gold with the 600 first.  Let your wife use Gold Mode in the 800.  If you are successful with some finds, then you can prove to her that it works and switch off and give the 800 a try.  It's the gentlemanly thing to do...lol.  Would also suggest hunting in Gold Mode BEFORE your trip to get used to that VCO audio and true threshold (which is critical to set correctly).  Have fun!

Thanks phrunt. I had a feeling field 2 would be the right mode. I have only tried it a cpl times but the place I used it worked well. Of course wasn't looking for gold. She is all excited now that I told her I have a setting to use. 

Hey GB she will hunt as long as I do as long as she thinks it's possible for her to find something

We are going in Oct for about 2 - 3 weeks.. 

I may try the gold mode on the beach just to get used to the audio. Not sure if it will help but I will try. I will most likely let her use the 800 anyway but knowing her she will  think the 600 is hers and want to use it.. I kinda let her think the 600 would be hers when I bought it so she wouldn't question my purchase...lol She knows I really bought it for me but she went along with me.  We have plenty of time to practice even after we get there and the beauty of it all is being able to ask on the forum 

We have no time limit to spend in any one place.  Most often we go until we are ready to head back home which is usually about 3 weeks. 

Heck we have fun just exploring old mine sites and sifting through the tailings. A few years ago I found a bucket full of tailings with gold in them.. Kept them for a few years because I thought maybe my grandkids wanted it but they didn't so I threw them in my son's creek at his back property. 

Hi Norm,

great answers so far concerning Field 2 on the Equinox 600. If you use the default Field 2 I would add in 0 to -2 in the default notching. I have had really small gold come in at -2. -1 and 0. If you choose to run in All Metal with nothing notched out and you encounter a lot of ground noise you can try running just in 15kHz instead of multi frequency Field 2 temporarily. You can also notch out -9 to -3 if the ground noise is still there to quiet down the 600. You should be able to hit .25 gram and bigger gold. In noisy ground the single frequency option sometimes gives a cleaner target sound (not necessarily deeper). Mine will hit a buried .3 gram nugget down to 2" with a faint threshold bump. Any larger gold up to .75 grams will give a great signal down to about 3". I haven't found anything larger yet with my 600 but I can only imagine what a 1gram+ signal would sound like!!!!!!!!!! Your 800 can do a lot smaller gold and go deeper. The same ground noise reduction can work by running temporarily in 40 kHz instead of Gold 1 and/or by notching out -9to-3.

good luck

Jeff

• Like 1