Need Advice!

Been out for a few hunts with my Nox 600, mostly 50-100 year old trashy parks.  Everything is just great even got into some river hunts with some success.

Where I’m having trouble is when I go out to my old coal mining ghost town sites which has trash from every decade.  Also all the buildings have been removed or bulldozed so lots of nails, bullets and flat iron etc mixed around.(Pacific Northwest Washington)

#1 I’m guilty of mode hopping at the mining site.  

#2 the site is so trashy I cannot find a spot to proper ground balance!!!!

general settings 

sensitivity=18-20

iron bias=1-2 back and forth

recovery=2-3 back and forth

I would love all tips links etc.

thanks so much for reading 

Guest calabash digger

recovery speed is way to low imo. 6 or 7 on sites like that. Choose a mode and stay there. For me it was park 2  because I tested it in my soil and that was the deepest. I have learned my machine in that mode. I can change it later if I NEED to.

12 hours ago, calabash digger said:

recovery speed is way to low imo. 6 or 7

It's an Equinox 600 so that's ok!

I would also try to lower the sensitivity to 14-16, maybe even less. Even if you miss deep stuff, you will increase the ability to find good stuff, which doesn't lie so deep - imho.

Park2 and Field2 seem to fit well - you can try to swap to 5 tones .. It may be easier to identify stuff that way, or change the tonebreak accordingly and learn the machine. Personally, for coin shooting I still prefer the 5 tone mode after 100s of hours noxing around ..

Park1 is the easiest to start off with I think.

How ever.. for me lowering the sensitivity made the machine much more enjoyable :happy:

• Like 2

Guest calabash digger

Thanks  I missed the 600 part. I thought to myself no wonder..... should double check. BTW I use 5 tones also.

Working in the trash .... you would likely gain if you reduced your sensitivity and increased you recovery.   You arent going to get serious depth there anyway ....... but could pick out a lot of the good targets missed before with it not having to process as much material.  Also high sensitivity can give you more of a reaction HOT ROCK response off of iron.   Id run IB 0.... just because sometimes you can pick up near targets better once you learn what rusted iron sounds like.   Do you have the ability of turning down the volume on iron?   If so..... run AM and reduce the iron to say 4.   Gives you more information about whats going on target wise...... and can move some of the wrap around tones back where they belong in the iron range as opposed to using disc.    Turn the threshold to 0..... its just added noise.   Running in AM can also kind of give you a threshold with a weak tones on iron.

17 hours ago, calabash digger said:

BTW I use 5 tones also

Yep - one of the main reasons I've bought the 800 is the ability to change the tonebreaks and pitches - comes in really handy! ?

1 hour ago, dewcon4414 said:

Turn the threshold to 0....

I didn't see GlazedTofu mention the threshold level.  Defaults in all modes on the Eqz 600 (and all but gold modes on the 800) is zero.

1 hour ago, dewcon4414 said:

Do you have the ability of turning down the volume on iron?

The 600 does allow tone volume adjustment for the iron zone, just not the conductive zones.  Good advice.

He didnt mention the threshold.... but a lot dont realize its not a true threshold..... so its noise you can do with out .... especially in a trashy area.   So i thought it worth mentioning just in case he had changed the default setting.