Sinclair meant did you try any other headphones besides your detecting phones that have 1/4" connectors to see if what you have is a bad adapter cable.  Also, are you sure you have the adapter cable screwed all the way into the port on the detector?  I assume you were using the adapter cable to adapt your detecting phones' connectors to be compatible with the WM08.  If that is the case, that would rule out a bad adapter cable AND any issue regarding headphone compatibility with the adapter cable.  We are guessing here with incomplete info, so you need to be specific about what has worked and what hasn't worked so we can rule out the adapter cable/your headphones/or something wrong with the detector port.  From what I can tell, the adapter cable works with the headphones when plugged into the wm08 and the detector headphone port works with the stock headphones and sony headphones with small plugs.  That would seem to rule out the your detecting headphones, the adapter cable, and the detector headphone port.  So the only thing I can think of is that you don't have that plug screwed in all the way into the detector headphone port.  Which seems unlikely since you got it to work on the WM08 which has the same port.

12 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Sinclair meant did you try any other headphones besides your detecting phones that have 1/4" connectors to see if what you have is a bad adapter cable.

The Minelab factory phones are 1/8 jack as well for the Sony ones. Other than the Widow's and Pro Golds I have no other 1/4 jack phones.....but the cable works OK with the WM08.??

Yeah, that is weird.  And you have the adapter cable screwed down tight onto that detector port so it is making contact all the way, right?  That is a stumper.  The headphone port on the detector head is wired a little different than the  WM08 because the detector headphone port needs  the ring and sleeve parts of the stereo plug to be at the same potential in order to shut off the detector speaker - that is not the case with the WM08, so maybe the detector head is shorting out the headphones.  Doubtful, though because you have the headphone switch to enable mono or stereo.  So ????.  

One chance might be an Mono <-> Stereo adapter. I "think" I had the same issue with my Jolly Rogers, but with an off the shelf 1/8-1/4 Stereo adapter. By the looks, the Minelab adapter is Stereo-Stereo, too ..

As a last resort, you won't get around to measure the phones and make some wiring changes. If you're not comfortable using an soldering-iron, you're stuck... maybe you have a friend or neighbor who can help you out?

17 hours ago, midalake said:

I have been testing with the WM 08 and my Black Widows everything works fine.  Shut the wifi down and went to plug my Black Widows in direct and there is no sound coming to the phones?    What am I doing wrong?   Dave

I've had that happen with other detectors and found dust/dirt inside the head phone plug hole in the detector that prevented a good connection.  Try compressed air.

4 hours ago, Sinclair said:

One chance might be an Mono <-> Stereo adapter. I "think" I had the same issue with my Jolly Rogers, but with an off the shelf 1/8-1/4 Stereo adapter. By the looks, the Minelab adapter is Stereo-Stereo, too ..

As a last resort, you won't get around to measure the phones and make some wiring changes. If you're not comfortable using an soldering-iron, you're stuck... maybe you have a friend or neighbor who can help you out?

No soldering for me. I will look for a Mono to Stereo adapter but do not think any of my local stores will carry one now that Radio Shack is closed.. But for the .75 cents they cost Minelab should of had one in the bag. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, midalake said:

I have since tried my Sun Ray Pro Golds and there is no sound either. and toggled both phones.  This sucks I leave tomorrow. Leave it up to minelab to make a cord that will not work. 

Your Sunray Pro Gold headphones has a "Mono / Stereo" switch it is the one on the right hand side of the "Volume Knob" I use a cheap Stereo to Mono adapter lead off Ebay about $3 / £2 and using it with my Sunray Pro Golds and the WM08 all I need do is ensure that the Mono - Stereo switch on the Sunrays is in the down position and the "Volume Knob is turned to full volume.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, Randy Dee said:

Your Sunray Pro Gold headphones has a "Mono / Stereo" switch it is the one on the right hand side of the "Volume Knob" I use a cheap Stereo to Mono adapter lead off Ebay about $3 / £2 and using it with my Sunray Pro Golds and the WM08 all I need do is ensure that the Mono - Stereo switch on the Sunrays is in the down position and the "Volume Knob is turned to full volume.

Hi Randy

Neither my sun rays or black widows would work with the waterproof cable and flipping the mono/stereo switch on both phones made no difference.