It's All I Need

Now that I've had enough hours use with my 800 I can relate to and agree with your comments, Mark. 

Now I know when I take it to a site I've not been to lately due to sparseness of targets, that I can count on making new (and surprising) finds

What I can add to this is rings. A ring will disguise itself as a gold tab. You won't find many but I dug what I was certain to be a gold tab this morning and it was a gold band..  Other than that I haven't dug a tab in weeks. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

That's a nice CW relic, never dug one before.

:smile:

• Thanks 1

With the Equinox I can usually name the target before I dig. Even watching YouTube videos if they’re using the nox I can (most of the time) ID it prior to them getting it out of the hole.

The Equinox is the best detector I’ve ever used that can accomplish this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BeachHunter said:

With the Equinox I can usually name the target before I dig. Even watching YouTube videos if they’re using the nox I can (most of the time) ID it prior to them getting it out of the hole.

The Equinox is the best detector I’ve ever used that can accomplish this.

Yes, I can say the same.

• Like 1

Mark, and all of youQ. This is the type of thing that I had mentioned in one of my posts @  someone making a viideo  with audio recorded (maybe in headset cup) about the tonal qualities that you hear when detectoring.  “Like what an elongated tone is , what are falling tone edges?  Perhaps there are media that goes into this, and I for one would be interested We all use different tones of art so to speak..  Another chirp from the prop!!!  Your thoughts?

22 hours ago, Propjob said:

Mark, and all of youQ. This is the type of thing that I had mentioned in one of my posts @  someone making a viideo  with audio recorded (maybe in headset cup) about the tonal qualities that you hear when detectoring.  “Like what an elongated tone is , what are falling tone edges?  Perhaps there are media that goes into this, and I for one would be interested We all use different tones of art so to speak..  Another chirp from the prop!!!  Your thoughts?

A lot of these audio signatures will come with added time on the Equinox.  When I first got my EQ I don't remember hearing some of these subtle nuance's in the audio report.  The best thing to do is practice and hunt.  On off days when I don't have time to hunt I hit my test garden and listen to each target. 

That might be a good suggestion for you.  Bury a few coins at various depths and orientations.  Bury a pop pull tab at 3" and maybe a beer pull tab at a different depth laying horizontal.  Now bury a beaver tab at 3" and practice listening to each.   In a short period time you'll start hearing some of these differences.

• Like 2

Propjob,

Repeated use and understanding what the audio is telling you by using your brain to associate the audio with the target builds your audio "muscle memory" such that you stop consciously thinking about what the audio is telling you and you just start picturing the probable target in the ground (the audio painting that virtual picture in your brain).  It is important to dig trash as well as keepers for this to take hold.  Don't just listen to silver dimes in your test garden (though it is a good way to reinforce what a good target sounds like, as Mark suggested), but you need to get out there with some real world swing hours and dig all the targets until you can start calling the target before you dig it.  When you can rely on the audio as the primary means of target ID with the visual ID as backup/confirmation, then you will up your keeper to trash ratio significantly..

• Like 2

Thanks for the wisdom. I am glad that we have the resources that you share both on the forums and you tube.    I do have a test garden with all sorts of items, shell casings , nails, beer tabs,silver,etc...however it is behind a shed that has gardening stuff on rear wall and that had thrown a loop into the mix by it’s location relative to the first row of targets.  I have to move that row of targets out to a different row.  I guess from the previous world (figuratively speaking) I came from I relied on an explorer or garrett display and the tone had less value to me . I am also finding that I dig items that are close to the vid of good targets for fear of missing a hit, and then when I find it’s trash dig it, but had not really listened to the signature.  I need to be aware of what I am hearing and put a description to the sound as opposed to digging because it may be a good target. Both very excellent suggestions. very open to all thoughts and methodology.   Jim

• Like 1