It's All I Need

Simon,

Since the Equinox does not noticeably over-modulate on large or shallow targets like the T2 does, those aluminum beer and soda cans do tend to ring up with good sounding audio and id numbers.  That is where I have had some success with pinpoint mode.  Provided the offending target is not too deep, I have been able to differentiate pop cans from good coin targets by sizing up the target in pinpoint mode.  Since it is a non-motion pitch mode it becomes relatively easy to ascertain that you have something too large to be a coin or jewelry target under the coil unless its profile is small because of its orientation or depth.  This technique works well for large falsing iron targets as well in farm fields (e.g. broken plow blades).  Gold mode also works similarly well in thick iron junk situations, but since it is a motion mode (you need to swing the coil over the target to get the VCO variable pitch intensity audio) it is not as definitive as pinpoint mode.  I am a dig it all proponent if you have perpetual site access because digging the junk and getting it out of the way can reveal masked keepers underneath and if you have the time and the site can withstand the digging, dig it all and cover every inch with your coil if you can. However, no sense digging up your own yard or another's pristine landscaping unnecessarily and this method can save on pulling too many junk target plugs or can save some time if you only have limited time at a site.  HTH.

• Like 1

I think you are hooked!  I casually beach hunted and Park hunted for clad and the occasional ring (mostly junk) for years until I discovered relic hunting and realized I was in the middle of a colonial and civil war historical artifact region.  Changed my whole outlook on the hobby.  There are so many aspects to this hobby that can keep it fresh and exciting.  I like variety and have tried several different types of metal detecting.  Would like to try some gold prospecting next.

• Like 1