Relic Hunt With The White's GMT 24K

While on a recent gold hunt at a new site with the up and coming 24K I was not having much luck at finding gold.  After 4 hours and no heavy yellow metal, I changed gears and decided to see how I liked the digital readout ID system on the machine.  Well I can tell you this.  Yes the numbers might move around some, but when it locks on to the right with a high number, you better dig.  The site must have had a building, as there was iron, glass and even broken brick scattered about.  I used the small 6" coil to get between iron trash and try to sniff out the high conductors and it worked.  It actually did better than I expected and I should have saved the other bullets and buttons, but they were nothing special or neat about them.

Pocket Watch is certainly a keeper.  No it is not gold or even silver for that matter, but at least it was a timely find.  The pistol bullet is an oldie for sure.  The ceramic tube was odd, as I could not figure out why the detector kept hitting on it?  Then I realized there was a copper wire going through it.  Still not 100% certain what this find is, but I think it had to do with electrical wiring and or insulator of some kind?  If you know, chime in.  The coolest discovery to me was a really nice ornate bottle top.  It's a screw on type made of lead and looks to be a crown.  But it has white glass on the inside of the cap.  There again, if you have an idea, please share you knowledge.

So if I can be at an old mining camp and pick these treasures among iron, I feel a Relic Hunter could do the same thing.  What about Urban Detecting for micro jewelry in a tot lot or volley ball court?  I think you could pull a few ear rings, belly studs and toe wraps from those sites as most folks who hunt them find the larger coins and rings.  Heck, their machines might even miss a dainty ankle bracelet too.

Moral of the story.  A gold detector is best at finding gold, but realize it also has other capabilities that can allow for more fun/finds.

24Relic1.JPG

24Relic2.JPG

24Relic3.JPG

24Relic4.JPG

• Like 4

Hi Gerry… a very insightful contribution, I found myself admiring your presentation of this detector’s potential versatility, goldhunting notwithstanding. I think it generally can be said that metal detectors, within certain constraints, are indeed versatile instruments. I appreciated those photo illustrations because they do strengthen your relic hunting comments. 

Congratulations on those interesting relics too. I especially liked the ornate bottle top and the old pocket watch, those are nice keepers. I once found a similar-looking pocket watch, albeit damaged, some 25 years ago while hunting silver here in Ontario. Came across a trashy area downhill from the dilapidated ruins of an old cabin out in the woods, and decided to probe for old bottles. It was mere chance that my aluminum probe happened to strike the watch instead of the many rusty tin cans, and that I bothered to check out a non-bottle “clink” for lack of a better description. But that too is a phenomenon of treasure hunting, the operator is the decisive factor in achieving a successful outcome.

And finally Gerry, I think that regardless of the detector model, that you will get the most out of it for whatever application you pursue. It was similarly a genuine pleasure to read about your gold picker recoveries using the White’s V3i. It is fascinating to read your knowledgeable posts and to benefit from your lengthy, successful experience in the hobby. 

There is no doubt in my mind that you are the most valuable “keeper” that has come our way on this forum. Thankyou for your many helpful contributions, you are appreciated perhaps more than you might realize…………….. Jim.

• Like 2

Jim,  Those are very strong and kind words...I'll accept them lightly as I know others on here have put more effort and time sharing their experiences.  Yes I have been fortunate with many detectors, but at the same time, I try to put myself in the best situations when trying to make a machine perform.  Then there is the skill of the operator behind the detector and I feel years in the field have earned some tidbits of knowledge.  

Hats off to you for doing something fun that I wish I understood...but in reality it is lack of time.  I too am amazed at what a person can do with a rod/probe.  I have a good friend in NV who an tell the difference from rusty cans, glass, and hard metal...from rock.  He put himself through college digging privies.  Last time I witnessed him in action, he pulled about $3K in rare bottles 4 to 6' down.  He walks around a site sticking the rod in the ground feeling for the right ting and listen for the right ping.

He found this Seven Troughs NEV bottle on that day and had it sold for $900 before he got back home that night.

Scan_0001.jpg

• Like 3

Gerry 

Did you know ?

When 7 UP first came it was in a short brown beer bottle with a long neck. When soda came out the bottle was round on the bottom. It had a cork and it had to stay wet so not to go flat.It was a wire hooked to the cork that you push down in the bottle to open. To close just pull the wire up.

At one time I was a walking library on bottles.

Chuck

• Thanks 1

The ceramic piece with the wire through it was common for house wiring in the early 1900`s. It was also called "Knob and Tube wiring", a hole was drilled through the beam and the ceramic tube pushed through, then the wire fed through. If the wire was to be on top/below of the beam a Knob insulator was used which consisted of a ceramic cylinder with a groove around it for the wire and a hole that a nail went through to fasten to the wood. ........Gee wish I had a picture

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1