Lets See Your Favorite Non Nugget Finds With Gold Detector

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While on a recent gold hunt at a new site with the up and coming 24K I was not having much luck at finding gold.  After 4 hours and no heavy yellow metal, I changed gears and decided to see how I like

Hi Gerry and everyone... after some 32+ years hunting in northeastern Ontario’s silver country, I have found a few odds and ends, lots of iron relics, older bottles, but only three silver coins. Incid

I've only had one decent non-gold find with my GPX-4500 while prospecting for gold, and it was a Chinese gold miners silver and ivory ring from the late 1800's...

Posted Images

Gerry

Years ago when they first started wiring homes the wire didn’t have insulation on it .The wiring came in the attic and a hole was drilled the same size as the small end of that tube you got. The big rounded end was to keep it from sliding through the hole that was drilled. The wire past through the tube and you had to do the same for the other wire. Both wires went to other insulators but they were made with a small hole in the center for a nail so you could nail them anywhere you wanted. The wire that came down to the plug did have a form of insulation but nothing like what we have today.

This is just to let you know those belly studs can get you in big trouble. I found one some years ago and like everything else I found I came home with it. My wife wasn’t too happy with me and I told her if I found another I wouldn’t bring it home. I’m not sure but I think the reason she was mad because it was still attached.

A guy can’t win for losing!

Chuck

PS Sorry no picture eyes swollen so bad can’t see to take it.Forgot about bring another home!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Found this copper socket point in the rafters of a old homestead on one of the ranches a few years ago the house was going to be burned down so i went through the place using my pin pointer checking all the likely spots for anything good found a few coins and such but this copper arrowhead was the best find .

IMG_2317.JPG

IMG_2318.JPG

IMG_2319.JPG

• Like 7

Gerry, do you consider the Fisher Gold Bug Pro a "gold detector"?  I've always thought of it as an all-around, although not in the same class as the White's MXT or Fisher F75.  The Fisher F19 (and twin sister Teknetics G2+) are basically the GB-Pro and Tek G2 with just a couple added features, and they are sold as coin/relic detectors.  Even the Gold Bug DP (just the Pro with a larger coil) is marketed as a relic machine.  Of course I'm not telling you anything you didn't know many years ago.

15 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Gerry, do you consider the Fisher Gold Bug Pro a "gold detector"?  I've always thought of it as an all-around, although not in the same class as the White's MXT or Fisher F75.  The Fisher F19 (and twin sister Teknetics G2+) are basically the GB-Pro and Tek G2 with just a couple added features, and they are sold as coin/relic detectors.  Even the Gold Bug DP (just the Pro with a larger coil) is marketed as a relic machine.  Of course I'm not telling you anything you didn't know many years ago.

GB_Amateur,  I classify the newer version Gold Bug and the Gold Bug-Pro as true Multi Purpose detectors.  I put the MXT series and F75 in the same category too.  To me, it is a detector with medium kHz on the teens and having an adjustable Discriminator capable of rejecting ferrous and nonferrous targets.  When I tested the 1st prototypes of the Gold Bug I was very impressed with its sensitivity to small pickers (see photo).  Then when the GB-Pro came out and I was able to get my hands on the larger coil, I was very happy with the performance. The GB & GB Pro were priced right at the time (less than many others), but performed well.  I could take 1 detector on a trip in the mountains and use it for both gold and coin/relics.

DSCN8542.JPG

GBC2.JPG

DSCN0042.JPG

DSCN8549.JPG

DSCN9175.JPG

DSCN7876.JPG

• Like 6

some really nice finds there Gerry.  The specimens on the GBP look like potatoes ?

• Like 1

Phrunt, if i may ask a question a little off topic.   If i wanted to search purely for gold coins with the nox, and used the high frequency only, is there a way with a little discrimination that i could only detect gold and nothing else?

Thanks.

Hi Andy, in my option not really, gold has such a big range, anything from -4 up over 20 on the VDI.  A lot of other stuff fall into those numbers.  In NZ we have modern gold coins (not real gold) that always hit as 21/22 on the VDI without fail, it's easy to block out everything and just get those coins but for real gold the VDI numbers seem to creep up higher the bigger the object is and there would be other variables too changing the VDI.  Unless there was one particular coin you were after and had one to see what it's VDI comes up as you could target that one coin.

• Like 3

Yet another off topic, sorry Gerry, comment to the above couple of posts. While I am a 100% natural gold nugget detectorist & don't rely on discrimination or pay too much attention to VDI's on my EQ 800 chasing natural in ground gold nuggets/pickers/ fly poop :biggrin:. Just dig it all. The VDI's are influenced greatly by the size of the gold & how close it is to the coil. A piece on the very fringe of detection can either read nothing on the VDI's & just a very slight crackle in the threshold, or throw the VDI's all over the place. From minuses to way up in the positives. Settling down more as you get the coil closer to it. As it is only tiny gold I find with the EQ 800 for example, as my PI's & the Zed have done a grand job of getting everything else. The small/tiny bits, once the detector gets a good lock on them are always a solid +2 to +4 on the VDI's. Same to with bloody lead. Shotgun pellets ? The VDI's increasing with the size of the gold.

There would be a big difference, I imagine, in the VDI's on natural in ground gold &  man made, purified gold coins. Any coins actually. The natural in ground gold nuggets are always mixed with any % of other impurities, like silver, copper, iron stone etc & so will have an effect on VDI's as it struggles to identify the metallic "mix". The VDI's would also be influenced by the size of the gold nugget. Where as a man made gold coin will be refined to a certain purity & size. Gold Sovereigns for example are 22 carat, & the VDI,s would then be influenced slightly by the size of a full sovereign, being about 8 grams & 22mm in diameter & fatter than a half sov which is about 4 grams & 19mm in diameter. So half the weight of a full sov. Then the coin could be laying in the ground in many different ways as to the footprint it gives the detector to see. Same as a natural gold nugget. This also affecting the signal sound & VDI's 

Coins are made of a known metal mix & size & weight. This is why coin detectors can be calibrated to tell you what coin you have found. Unlike natural gold nuggets out in mother nature. I don't believe, in my lifetime anyway, that there will ever be a detector made that will tell you 100% that your signal is gold only. Being that gold is never 100% gold, even when refined. Hence .999 pure. Never 100%. Gold rings, depending on their purity. 22, 18, 14, 9 carat are all mixed with a combination of different % of silver & or copper to give strength & colour will mess with VDI's. The detector is going to see both the gold & these other metals & so read slightly different. The day may come when detectors can tell you the % of mixed metals individually. But then the VDI's will probably tell you that any way depending on what carat ring you have found. Only being influenced slightly by the size of the ring. Sorry...that went off on a bit of a tangent. :rolleyes:

I may stand to be corrected. Not being a coin detectorist.

Getting back on topic. I don't know if I have a favourite non gold find while gold detecting but do have some unusual & unexpected finds out there. Which probably deserves its own thread. I will work on it. 

Good luck out there

JW :smile:        

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Fourteen year old Tana Clymer found the 3.85 carat yellow diamond last October at a crater of the Diamonds park in Arkansas. Crater of the Diamonds is the only diamond-producing site in the world that's open to the public, according to the park. Tara plans on using the proceeds from the sale of the jellybean size diamond to help pay for college.

http://www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/prospectors/teen-sells-diamond-found-arkansas-20140411

AP Photo
    • By mn90403
      https://www.lovecpokladu.cz/home/fanky-depot-8203
    • By GhostLands
      "A Dream Come True" European treasure hunter unearths hoard of 400-700 year-old hammered coins Chicago, IL (September 1, 2020) - From the time one picks up his or her first metal detector, detectorists dream of making “the big find”. Big means different things to different people. Some aspire to find a huge gold nugget in a dry creek bed. Others hope to discover an unhunted Civil War battlefield full of bullets, buttons, and buckles. For some, a recovered diamond ring would make them happy. Others dream of finding a posthole bank containing a can of gold and silver coins. Who knows exactly what sort of “big find” tops one particular European detectorist’s list. For this man, who wishes to be referred to in this article simply as Fabio, one of his recent discoveries must certainly come close. The European countryside is a special place where thousands of years’ of historical items have been lost, just waiting to be found. Some people – like Fabio – are fortunate to be able to search there on a daily basis. In February of 2020, Fabio and one of his friends were detecting one of the many large farm areas on which they have permission to hunt. They had been searching all day. “It was raining like crazy. We were very exhausted from walking many miles with no good signals,” recalls Fabio, who had decided to return to the car to escape a downpour when his friend suddenly began frantically yelling that he had just found several billon (a silver/copper alloy) hammered coins. “I rushed back and turned on my Minelab VANQUISH detector equipped with the 12” coil and started swinging,” says Fabio. “The area had many pottery fragments and the soil was dark and heavily mineralized, but the VANQUISH easily overcame the difficult conditions.” Fabio began getting good signals. “One coin, two coins, three coins… 11 coins! Coins all over the place!” he recalls. Imagine his excitement. The coins the two men were finding were hammered coins, mostly from the 14th century. For those who may be unfamiliar with hammered coins, Fabio explains: “The dies for both sides of a coin were made from hard metal, then a softer coin blank was centered between them and then struck with a hammer to leave the coin impression on both sides.” A half-hour later, the detectors were still sounding off, but both men were cold, wet, and exhausted from digging through 6-to-8 inches of muddy topsoil. They marked the spot and made plans to return the next day under better hunting conditions. The next day found Fabio and his friend back in the field, full of renewed energy and excitement. They had brought along an additional friend to share in the fun. Fabio started the day with the eight-inch coil on his Minelab VANQUISH and planned to change to the 12-inch coil later in the day to reach the deeper coins. He began detecting over an area previously covered by his friend the day before, and quickly began getting signals which had been missed. The machine his friend was using was not as sensitive or able to detect the deeper coins Fabio was finding with his VANQUISH – even with the eight-inch coil. A short time later, Fabio heard one of his friends shouting. He had uncovered a rare hammered coin with a King Ferdinand bust, and all three men rushed to celebrate the find. Soon, Fabio had a signal reading higher than what he had been getting with the small, thin hammered coins. It was a beautiful coin similar to the one his detecting friend had just found. In his excitement, however, Fabio failed to recheck his hole. When his second friend went over that area again a short time later, he detected and uncovered another rare hammered coin Fabio had missed. But Fabio didn’t mind. “At the end of the day, we were completely exhausted but also extremely happy!” he says. “Without a doubt, it was one of the happiest days of our lives!” Fabio and his two friends returned the following weekend to resume their hunt. This time, he took his Minelab EQUINOX 800 to see how it would perform on the site. It did great, as he continued to discover new coins. “I found 66 coins with the VANQUISH, and 43 more when I went back with the EQUINOX and its stock coil,” he says. “As the finds started slowing down, I switched to the EQUINOX with the 15-inch coil and found 14 more!” Fabio continued changing coils and his Minelab machines and hunted for a total of five days. All told, his extraordinary discovery totaled an astonishing 128 coins. The area the men were hunting was a farm field close to a river. The total area they had permission to hunt on was about one square mile, and the specific area where the coins were found was around five acres. But why were they there? The trio had discovered a lot of pottery pieces in the ground, so perhaps a large pot – or several pots – had been filled with coins and buried. Agricultural activity could have easily scattered the coins. And while that may be the most logical explanation, Fabio has other theories as well. “It could have been from a shipwreck since the nearby river flooded into this area on occasion,” he says. “Or it might have been from a military encampment from that period.” Later in their search, the men also found some 16th and 17th century coins, further complicating the mystery surrounding this fabulous hoard. While Fabio, 31, is a passionate detectorist, he hasn’t been treasure hunting for very long. When he was young, he enjoyed going to the beach and searching for fossils. Three years ago, he was invited to a metal-detecting group event and looked at all the exciting finds people were discovering. Shortly thereafter, he bought his first detector. Amazingly, he found a Spanish reale on just his second day detecting. The excitement took over, and he has been at the game ever since. Fabio has experience with several different makes and models of detectors, but chooses to hunt today with Minelab’s CTX 3030, EQUINOX and VANQUISH models, citing Minelab’s Multi-IQ simultaneous frequency technology as a game-changer for both beginning and experienced detectorists. “Multi-IQ means you can search with multiple frequencies at the same time and find any metal in any soil conditions,” he says. “It’s a great feature that helps people make more finds.” Fabio is still researching the value of the coins and doesn’t yet know what he will ultimately do with this find of a lifetime. “The value of this find in monetary terms is unknown at this time,” he says. “But in terms of personal satisfaction in obtaining a find of this age and quantity, it is priceless!” And that’s what this story is all about – the fun, the excitement, and the dreams that come with detecting – along with showing beginning or would-be detectorists what they can do with a well-chosen and well-engineered metal detector like the Minelab VANQUISH. It’s an inexpensive, easy-to-use-and-understand machine that can make dreams come true.
      http://www.icontact-archive.com/archive?c=321494&f=96178&s=102669&m=860447&t=90b4cabee533b419eaf03e6b61c7e438407efa9c7bbadf30b31791b66b8173b7

• By DOP
      Hi everybody- another beautiful weekend in the PNW and some great relics and history uncovered. Check out our expedition! 

• By phrunt
      This was on TV in New Zealand tonight about a guy finding a gold sovereign with his Nox worth about $50,000 NZD, about 33,000 USD.  It was an Aussie minted coin.
      The video even has what I see as a typical Garrett user in it 😛  Just kiddin'
    • By devilsrenegade
      Went back to an old poured concrete foundation in the woods which is a popular Elk hunters campsite. This is a site where I found my first seated dime a few years ago. The area is loaded with modern trash and lot's of iron nails and old tin buried near the foundation walls. I brought my Teknetics G2 with both the 5" and 11"x7" coil as I also intended to try some nugget detecting near the creek. I didn't find any nuggets but managed to pull 2 nice V nickels, 1890 and 1883. I set the detector in disc mode after ground balancing at 83. The ground here is very mineralized. I then set the tone break at 40 to separate ferrous from nonferrous and started swinging . I dug everything that hit in the ferrous range and all one-way signals that sounded good one direction but like iron the other. I also managed a few relics and a small pile of trash.