Lets See Your Favorite Non Nugget Finds With Gold Detector

Hello Gerry,

Your comments make a lot of sense to me.  And you are so right ... in that all different gold coins, rings etc ... will all ping differently based on the sheer numbers and varieties out there.   A lot of quality info there, so really appreciate your input!

From now on, ill eat my spinach and get digging pretty much everything that sounds/looks/feels good ?  

Really appreciate your post Gerry, it confirmed what ive thought myself in moments of deep "pre-detecting" contemplation.   Its always nice to get confirmation of ones own thoughts and insight from someone who's more knowledgeable.

Oh and indeed, photo's will follow (shortly) of those pesky sovereigns ? 

Cheers Buddy!

Andy.

• Like 1

Was out at Hatcher Pass recreational mining area detecting with my SDC2300 in between running my sluice box. I found found this bullet in a stream. Of course I found a bunch of different kind of shell casings but I thought it was pretty cool so I thought I would share. I didn’t find much gold and still have to sort out all the black sand, nothing worth even mentioning since it was just a few specs and flakes.

E3F70499-F7D1-4380-A1BC-6BD21D683DE0.jpeg

• Like 3

On 7/24/2018 at 12:26 AM, kiwijw said:

That's your favourite non nugget find?? :blink: Gezzzz...that's a bit sad.  :biggrin:

JW :smile:

JW, I like how the jacket bloomed. Found it in a gravel bar. In the same river I found that Yale ignition switch.

The spoon was found in the Yukon river just as it starts running alongside Whitehorse. Spoon is probably from 30's to 40's. The manufacturers stamp is still legible. 

20180731_210623.jpg

• Like 2

Well, I have one favorite and it's the U.S. Army issued pocket knife (pic 3 & 4) that cleaned up rather well and is mostly functional with some liquid wrench oil, but that smallest blade is pretty much concreted in. What's interesting is an older brother was stationed in the area where I found it, prior to him being flown to Vietnam in 1969. Have to say the long forged nails (pic 1) were pretty cool too. Each about 5-6 inches long and all were within a linear space maybe of 5 feet, and about 13 inches deep. I can't help but think it was what remained of an old miners shack. Those 3 large steel balls next to the quarter (pic 2) are a mystery. That BB included just for scale. Wished the quarter had been older but is included because it was under a boulder! The eyeglasses (pic 5) are just clear glass lenses, which is odd. They were bent up pretty bad as if stepped on 100s of times but glass not even cracked, so that is intriguing for me, made me wonder what the backstory is. That "cross" pin (pic 6) found near the eyeglasses is probably gold plated, maybe painted gold instead. Wish it had an engraving with a year.

Salmon fishing flies like these are pretty typical common finds in several areas where I have detected (pic 7). What's funny is I use to bring both my fly rods and first detector owned to the creeks that have recreational public mining, switching to one or the other as I got frustrated with one or the other. That fly found with the orange head was sharpened and tied on my line and BOOM! I hooked/ landed a silver salmon! So that one is a favorite too for that reason. Bullet fragments  (pics 8-10) very common finds for me but these are my favorites because that same day/ same area I detected my first gold with my then new Gold Bug 2. 

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2142.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2144.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

IMG_2147.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_2207.JPG

• Like 6

Some pretty cool finds from everyone, thanks for sharing. 

While using a GPZ 7000, I found a very nice condition Union Soldiers Infantry Button about 2 feet down, in the SW. Wish we could see the stories behind some of our finds.

20180802_222400.jpg

• Like 4

JW, yes those are .303 casings. And you are probably right about the Yale piece being a lock. 

image.png.bc90e3b7a6465a4da8ea72cfcfc27070.png

I found this under cap-rock. A retiring nugget was on my mine, but it was buried in a burrow about 10 feet in.

The digger is shown below.

WebGoanna.jpg.d757a61c1e3e50979cf1bdc5f157eaef.jpg

My bother in-law found these (teeths) while hunting gold ring in an old beach. I got over 50 gold rings instead.

teeth1.JPG.15e1cc81f72a45285ba92635e89c7202.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1