Lets See Your Favorite Non Nugget Finds With Gold Detector

Gerry

Years ago when they first started wiring homes the wire didn’t have insulation on it .The wiring came in the attic and a hole was drilled the same size as the small end of that tube you got. The big rounded end was to keep it from sliding through the hole that was drilled. The wire past through the tube and you had to do the same for the other wire. Both wires went to other insulators but they were made with a small hole in the center for a nail so you could nail them anywhere you wanted. The wire that came down to the plug did have a form of insulation but nothing like what we have today.

This is just to let you know those belly studs can get you in big trouble. I found one some years ago and like everything else I found I came home with it. My wife wasn’t too happy with me and I told her if I found another I wouldn’t bring it home. I’m not sure but I think the reason she was mad because it was still attached.

A guy can’t win for losing!

Chuck

PS Sorry no picture eyes swollen so bad can’t see to take it.Forgot about bring another home!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Found this copper socket point in the rafters of a old homestead on one of the ranches a few years ago the house was going to be burned down so i went through the place using my pin pointer checking all the likely spots for anything good found a few coins and such but this copper arrowhead was the best find .

IMG_2317.JPG

IMG_2318.JPG

IMG_2319.JPG

• Like 7

Gerry, do you consider the Fisher Gold Bug Pro a "gold detector"?  I've always thought of it as an all-around, although not in the same class as the White's MXT or Fisher F75.  The Fisher F19 (and twin sister Teknetics G2+) are basically the GB-Pro and Tek G2 with just a couple added features, and they are sold as coin/relic detectors.  Even the Gold Bug DP (just the Pro with a larger coil) is marketed as a relic machine.  Of course I'm not telling you anything you didn't know many years ago.

15 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Gerry, do you consider the Fisher Gold Bug Pro a "gold detector"?  I've always thought of it as an all-around, although not in the same class as the White's MXT or Fisher F75.  The Fisher F19 (and twin sister Teknetics G2+) are basically the GB-Pro and Tek G2 with just a couple added features, and they are sold as coin/relic detectors.  Even the Gold Bug DP (just the Pro with a larger coil) is marketed as a relic machine.  Of course I'm not telling you anything you didn't know many years ago.

GB_Amateur,  I classify the newer version Gold Bug and the Gold Bug-Pro as true Multi Purpose detectors.  I put the MXT series and F75 in the same category too.  To me, it is a detector with medium kHz on the teens and having an adjustable Discriminator capable of rejecting ferrous and nonferrous targets.  When I tested the 1st prototypes of the Gold Bug I was very impressed with its sensitivity to small pickers (see photo).  Then when the GB-Pro came out and I was able to get my hands on the larger coil, I was very happy with the performance. The GB & GB Pro were priced right at the time (less than many others), but performed well.  I could take 1 detector on a trip in the mountains and use it for both gold and coin/relics.

DSCN8542.JPG

GBC2.JPG

DSCN0042.JPG

DSCN8549.JPG

DSCN9175.JPG

DSCN7876.JPG

• Like 5

Hi Gerry and everyone... after some 32+ years hunting in northeastern Ontario’s silver country, I have found a few odds and ends, lots of iron relics, older bottles, but only three silver coins. Incidentally I re-bury interesting iron to examine how my detectors react to them once they’ve had a chance to continue the rusting (maghemite formation) process for a few years.

When I first ventured north to hunt native silver nuggets and ores, I used to explore widely by utilizing the old abandoned trails and roadways that once serviced the bustling mining camps of the time. Usually I would be hiking about with my old Garrett ADS Deepseeker (equipped with either a seven or twelve inch concentric coil) turned ON. One late afternoon I got a nice little signal and found these two handsome coins together with some large one-cent coppers, obviously a small coin spill from an unfortunate miner. 

The third silver coin was a 1905 King Edward half-dime found in the tailings of a former high production minesite located within the town limits of Cobalt. I haven’t bothered with a photo because it was slightly bent, but similar to the two dimes in the photo below it was lost in very nice condition. These finds lead me to think that payroll coinage must have come directly from the mint in Ottawa, but that’s speculation, as I’ve never researched it.

I think we’ve all experienced finding something nice right at the beginning of an outing (water hunting is a good example with jewelry) and can’t find another good item the rest of the day. And vice-versa too of course. As a water hunter, coin hunter, and prospector I’ve observed this short-term pattern as just described many times. But I’ve only experienced it once over the long-term. I’ve never found another silver coin in that area over the past 30 years……………. Jim. 

1783019626_PROSPECTINGAGCOINSSFYG16.JPG.9994b348431ec5ce2c17c908bbc28401.JPG

282429550_OLDBOTTLESFROMSILVERCOUNTRY.JPG.fd5cbb47d6a97777d65437c18f82f60f.JPG

• Like 9

Still no Yukon gold. But I like finding lead and copper too. Not Aluminum, unless it is campfire beer can aluminum lol

20180523_195241.jpg

• Haha 2

Great input chaps.  All great advice, and i do mean all of it.  This forum is a wealth of detecting knowledge.

Always learn something new on here, much appreciated.

Andy.

• Like 4

Spot on mate. An international gang of decent, passionate , knowledgeable and interesting detectorists so we are, and I agree fully ... we have a great forum here, i'm enjoying it immensely. 

Thanks for the luck JW,  I'm going out sweeping in about 3 hours, hitting a spot that has brought out 8 silvers so far, so your luck is appreciated!

As a horrible fast food chain would say ...." I'm Loving it" ? 

Andy.

• Like 2

Andy,  there are so many variables to consider for each of the different gold coins.  Now with that said, I have witnessed and even successfully accomplished some fine tuning and Discrimination Setups for certain detectors to find desired targets.  But I want you to know "it is not 100% guaranteed".

When I was younger and eager to babysit a group of detectorists for a week or 2, I used to take groups to England around the Colchester area.  We used to keep in contact with all the folks who hunted there and after some time there would be certain fields that gave up a specific type of gold coin.  For example,  gold Morini was pretty common on one field and some guys would only dig targets that fell in the Morini range.  Yes you missed many other potential finds, but you upped your chances at finding the small elusive Morini (1/4 Stater).

On another field, there were quite a few Celtic 1/2 Staters recovered from the different groups, so a few of the hard core hunters would set their DISC pattern to reject all targets that fall outside of that range.  Realize depth and a few other factors call dictate and change the signature of that target.

As for gold rings, I have found more than my share, but I play the odds.  For example, I did a video on the Minelab X-terra 705 a few years back and took approx 50 gold rings swinging each across the coil to get the signature of them. I placed each ring in line with all the other rings that gave the same digital readout.  What I found was certain #'s had a higher % change of being a gold ring. The lower % chance #'s  and the #'s that I had no gold rings reading, I simply rejected.  There were some many comments across the world from folks who became more successful at finding gold rings.  You must realize there is always an exception to the rule.  My use of the X-705 to find rings in schools/parks was for recently lost rings near the surface.  

With my Equinox, I have recovered 23 gold or platinum rings so far.  As I get around 50, then I'll be able to see a pattern of the most #'s pertaining to a gold ring near the surface.  Then I can play the odds and start rejecting the #'s that do not resemble.

You being in UK, there are literally a 100+ different kinds of gold coins in the fields.  If you know of such a field that a hoard of a certain type of gold coin was recovered, then you can dial that coin in with a disc pattern to help.  My opinion only - As for the kHz Setting, I would not recommend the higher 40 kHz, as it is too high and you'll be hitting every tiny bit of metal and lead.  20 kHz would be much easier on the ears and ads a little more depth too.

Many folks do this and they don't miss much. "Just Dig It All"...but I'll play the odds when trying to find a certain target or hunt a particular site I know the history behind.

Good luck to you and be sure to share your 1st gold photo and story with us.

Here is the video I did on the X-705 and my findings.

• Like 4