Gerry in Idaho

Lets See Your Favorite Non Nugget Finds With Gold Detector

There is where years of experience kicks in Andy, kiwijw gave you a much better answer than I did 🙂

• Like 1

Still no Yukon gold. But I like finding lead and copper too. Not Aluminum, unless it is campfire beer can aluminum lol

20180523_195241.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Bryce said:

Still no Yukon gold. But I like finding lead and copper too. Not Aluminum, unless it is campfire beer can aluminum lol

20180523_195241.jpg

That's your favourite non nugget find?? :blink: Gezzzz...that's a bit sad.  :biggrin:

JW :smile:

• Like 2

Great input chaps.  All great advice, and i do mean all of it.  This forum is a wealth of detecting knowledge.

Always learn something new on here, much appreciated.

Andy.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Andy2640 said:

Great input chaps.  All great advice, and i do mean all of it.  This forum is a wealth of detecting knowledge.

Always learn something new on here, much appreciated.

Andy.

There must be something in this forum Andy. You are from the UK. I am in New Zealand & there are a handfull of Aussies as well & this is an American forum. She is a beaut for sure. Great bunch of guys & gals on here that know there stuff & are only too willing to share. I love it.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 3

Spot on mate. An international gang of decent, passionate , knowledgeable and interesting detectorists so we are, and I agree fully ... we have a great forum here, i'm enjoying it immensely. 

Thanks for the luck JW,  I'm going out sweeping in about 3 hours, hitting a spot that has brought out 8 silvers so far, so your luck is appreciated!

As a horrible fast food chain would say ...." I'm Loving it" 😉 

Andy.

• Like 3

Andy,  Both Phrunt and JW are correct.  There are so many variables to consider for each of the different gold coins.  Now with that said, I have witnessed and even successfully accomplished some fine tuning and Discrimination Setups for certain detectors to find desired targets.  But I want you to know "it is not 100% guaranteed".

When I was younger and eager to babysit a group of detectorists for a week or 2, I used to take groups to England around the Colchester area.  We used to keep in contact with all the folks who hunted there and after some time there would be certain fields that gave up a specific type of gold coin.  For example,  gold Morini was pretty common on one field and some guys would only dig targets that fell in the Morini range.  Yes you missed many other potential finds, but you upped your chances at finding the small elusive Morini (1/4 Stater).

On another field, there were quite a few Celtic 1/2 Staters recovered from the different groups, so a few of the hard core hunters would set their DISC pattern to reject all targets that fall outside of that range.  Realize depth and a few other factors call dictate and change the signature of that target.

As for gold rings, I have found more than my share, but I play the odds.  For example, I did a video on the Minelab X-terra 705 a few years back and took approx 50 gold rings swinging each across the coil to get the signature of them. I placed each ring in line with all the other rings that gave the same digital readout.  What I found was certain #'s had a higher % change of being a gold ring. The lower % chance #'s  and the #'s that I had no gold rings reading, I simply rejected.  There were some many comments across the world from folks who became more successful at finding gold rings.  You must realize there is always an exception to the rule.  My use of the X-705 to find rings in schools/parks was for recently lost rings near the surface.  

With my Equinox, I have recovered 23 gold or platinum rings so far.  As I get around 50, then I'll be able to see a pattern of the most #'s pertaining to a gold ring near the surface.  Then I can play the odds and start rejecting the #'s that do not resemble.

You being in UK, there are literally a 100+ different kinds of gold coins in the fields.  If you know of such a field that a hoard of a certain type of gold coin was recovered, then you can dial that coin in with a disc pattern to help.  My opinion only - As for the kHz Setting, I would not recommend the higher 40 kHz, as it is too high and you'll be hitting every tiny bit of metal and lead.  20 kHz would be much easier on the ears and ads a little more depth too.

Many folks do this and they don't miss much. "Just Dig It All"...but I'll play the odds when trying to find a certain target or hunt a particular site I know the history behind.

Good luck to you and be sure to share your 1st gold photo and story with us.

Here is the video I did on the X-705 and my findings.

• Like 6

Hello Gerry,

Your comments make a lot of sense to me.  And you are so right ... in that all different gold coins, rings etc ... will all ping differently based on the sheer numbers and varieties out there.   A lot of quality info there, so really appreciate your input!

From now on, ill eat my spinach and get digging pretty much everything that sounds/looks/feels good 😉  

Really appreciate your post Gerry, it confirmed what ive thought myself in moments of deep "pre-detecting" contemplation.   Its always nice to get confirmation of ones own thoughts and insight from someone who's more knowledgeable.

Oh and indeed, photo's will follow (shortly) of those pesky sovereigns 🙂 

Cheers Buddy!

Andy.

• Like 1

Was out at Hatcher Pass recreational mining area detecting with my SDC2300 in between running my sluice box. I found found this bullet in a stream. Of course I found a bunch of different kind of shell casings but I thought it was pretty cool so I thought I would share. I didn’t find much gold and still have to sort out all the black sand, nothing worth even mentioning since it was just a few specs and flakes.

E3F70499-F7D1-4380-A1BC-6BD21D683DE0.jpeg

• Like 4