Atx? Yes Or No.

?No pressure but yes or no? I’m not worried about the weight and they seem fairly simple to use.  I already have VLFs. I’m ready for a PI.  I’m looking at the closed double d coil and maybe the small mono in the future.  Ive been watching videos and reading reviews and most people like them with the exception of the weight.  I like the fact the collapse because I hike a long ways sometimes and will most likely have a trusty VLF in hand. I just want something new,different..I don’t know maybe I answered my own question.

Are you still happy with yours?

Thanks

I have owned a VLF and done well with it. Like you, I was ready for a PI and favored the ATX for 4 reasons: (1) its collapsable design, for the same reasons you state; (2) waterproof, for prospecting in streams and beaches, and no need to stop when it rains; (3) the reputable reviews as to its ease of learning; and (4) most of all, its small to large nugget detecting at depths not too far off from the GPX 5000, yet considerably less costly and not as complex to learn as this one is.

So a few months ago I bought the ATX, including its deepseeker 15x20 open mono coil (which I really don't see much use for where I am detecting, and have only used it a few times and found it's not an easy coil to use, for my use anyway/ my skill level with it, and debating selling it). I also bought the 11x13 DD closed coil (which is used only on land) and have the standard open DD 10x12 coil which gets a lot of use underwater and near water.    

For the most part, yes I do like the ATX. I have yet to find any gold -- just a lot of nails and all other FT imaginable -- but I have only used it in the field at most maybe 10 hours so have not quite "paid my dues yet" and is just a matter of time. Its weight is not an issue for me, but I am a hunter and also carry a shotgun for bear safety, so the weight issue is mute due to having that conditioning/ being use to having a heavy object in hand for long durations/ treks.

The biggest negative I have with it is twofold -- the ground balancing can be a challenge at times. It is automatic, yes and easy to do, yes ... but sometimes I find I have to do a factory reset and repeat the GB 2 to 4 times in the same area, due to reasons I really don't understand. But it erodes my confidence in it being able to detect and so that is a concern. Also, unlike the VLF,  the ATX doesn't put out a constant background hum/ threshold. And it's damn challenging to borderline maddening to get the volume set right ...

Sometimes the damn thing sounds constantly and loud, then goes silent -- in the very same area. Sometimes, such as yesterday in a highly mineralized zone, it behaved erractically despite 5 GB's each preceeded with a factory reset just in case I'd not done the prior GB well. Unlike when using the GB2, in many areas/ situations I can't seem to find a discernable pattern in the background noise -- it lacks any sort of pattern, which makes me unsure if I'll notice its detecting of something non ferrous, if that makes any sense.

But mind you, perhaps and most likely frankly, these issues are not so much the ATX -- if at all -- but rather the operator, namely me. So take the above with that in mind; am still learning it and not even close to being its master by any means. But am determined to get there. And now for this last note ... all that having been said I kinda wish I'd spent the extra $500 or so for a GPX 4500. ATX just isn't in the same league as Minelab; they design their gear to find gold, whereas Garrett's ATX finds everything -- they ought to have named it AMX -- All Metal Xtra Deep Digging Required -- hint hint. Be sure to have a shovel with you on your hikes and ready to use it. A lot. 

• Like 2

You might check and see if your connection, coil to machine is tight.  Sometimes that will cause goofy problems.  I've found mine will work loose occasionally.

You do have an adjustment on your threshold......  should be able to adjust it until sounds good.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 6:50 PM, JDIGGS said:

?No pressure but yes or no? I’m not worried about the weight and they seem fairly simple to use.  I already have VLFs. I’m ready for a PI.  I’m looking at the closed double d coil and maybe the small mono in the future.  Ive been watching videos and reading reviews and most people like them with the exception of the weight.  I like the fact the collapse because I hike a long ways sometimes and will most likely have a trusty VLF in hand. I just want something new,different..I don’t know maybe I answered my own question.

Are you still happy with yours?

Thanks

The Garrett ATX was one of my favorite detectors - easily my favorite Garrett detector. Yes or no however depends on your desired use. For me the ATX only makes a lot of sense if you need its waterproof design. You are paying a large penalty in price, weight, and limited coil options due to the ATX being in a waterproof housing. I lobbied endlessly for a lighter weight dry land version of the ATX but have given it up. I have to admit I sold my last ATX more as a form of protest over being ignored for so long on that issue than any complaint about how it performs. For that matter I would rather the ATX circuit had been stuffed in the Infinium box. That design was not perfect but at least it could be easily hip or chest mounted. Bottom line however is I always liked the ATX circuit and was very satisfied with its performance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My perspective on just about all tech purchases is centered on output/ outcomes and peformance capacities, first and foremost, next the ease of use/ competency level required to operate it effectively, and lastly the cost. I bought the ATX due to its waterproof feature and no need to worry about being caught in rain, and this summer it's rained almost daily, plus all of what I'd read about its closed DD coil which I knew would be ideal for conditions encountered, which drive me crazy with GB2. 

59 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

justify that cost

I'm in a category not mentioned and some consider me foolish along these lines, but is just how I tend to be. For me, return on investment for gear that allows me to live my dreams/ do what I'm fiercely passionate about at a high level, is measured in the experience and joy, not in dollars. I love hunting for gold just as much as finding it. Of course I am striving to find gold but it doesn't really matter. It's like fishing, I love holding a fly rod and the opportunity to be in wilderness and the challenge in mastering the rod/ presentation of the fly, reading of the water, and just the whole experience of it. A fish on the line is great and the objective but it's not a make or break factor. Detector in hand is strikingly similar to this. I have yet to find any gold with the ATX -- have found it with GB2 and a White's I use to own that was stolen, however not yet the ATX, yet despite the few thousand I paid for it I consider the ROI equal to the cost due to how much joy I get. 

One last comment ... made me laugh to read the statement about "detecting to get rich on gold finds" -- that seems to be a common perception/ assumption for many people who have no prospecting/ mining experience! They have it backwards! It takes wealth to be in the position to buy everything that this passion requires! And they're clueless how difficult it is to find gold, even with a detector. Oh how we all wish! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac said:

I'm in a category not mentioned and some consider me foolish along these lines, but is just how I tend to be. For me, return on investment for gear that allows me to live my dreams/ do what I'm fiercely passionate about at a high level, is measured in the experience and joy, not in dollars. I love hunting for gold just as much as finding it. Of course I am striving to find gold but it doesn't really matter. It's like fishing, I love holding a fly rod and the opportunity to be in wilderness and the challenge in mastering the rod/ presentation of the fly, reading of the water, and just the whole experience of it. A fish on the line is great and the objective but it's not a make or break factor. Detector in hand is strikingly similar to this.

You and me both.  I've borrowed a quote (common enough to be labeled 'cliche') from other endeavors:  "the next best thing to searching for and finding gold is searching for it and getting skunked."  If I had the choice of hunting with my 1970's Garrett Groundhog or staying at home doing just about anything else I know where you'd find me.  I bet you'd be right there next to me, Mac.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1