Looking For Tips And Info About Crow Creek And Hatcher Pass

On 8/9/2018 at 1:52 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

amazing discovery

I like the way you phrase things. Have never detected with Steve. But fact that he has been everywhere there is to go here in AK where the public can go for free or via fee, and on others' claims too, is a factor in my own detecting strategies/ plans and one of many reasons why I opted to buy a claim and plan to buy more claims by next summer ... that offers the best odds for being on gold fields where detectors have never been. I'm motivated by challenge but wish Steve had gotten into a different line of work back in the 70's!  

12 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

link to Alaska Mapper

I'm on this system a lot. What I don't like about it is the missing layers that show where the patented lands are, rather than only those "tentatively assigned" and so the toggling over to other databases to know land status is a major PIA. It's always fascinated me how so many areas are top claimed and a nightmare that must be for those folks who have to deal with that. In this day with technology very advanced/ GPS, the state mapping mining claims system ought not to even allow any top filing yet it still happens.

There are also errors on that map -- there are areas indicated as being unclaimed and no prospecting sites filed, but markers in the field, yet nothing shown on that map. So, that system is great but leaves much to be desired.

Also, more and more lands are being contested by AK Native corporations/ Natives. And lands shifting to native ownership, and none of those shown on mapper. The Mallott-Walker duo are shifting state lands and state selected lands to native corp ownership and its been done in several mining districts, which has been discovered not just by me but other hunters of game/ waterfowl (we discover this by showing up at x place where hunted every year in the past, and find new signage claiming the land is now owned by x Native corp and prohibiting access. Some of the lands in question are in gold fields.  

Just the other day on that first sunny day in 3 weeks I went to a favorite area where I have hunted for moose and goats in years past, went to do some scouting for moose in prep for the season, and the lands are all claimed as Native corp owned! The tie to gold is that last Sept on a solo hunt I found gold in my pan (always have a gold pan in my backpack no matter what adventure I am doing), and coarse gold at that, and on the map system shows no claims/ no mineral entry anywhere near there, all state lands. Yet now is Native claimed! DNR office via phone gives an answer with the word "should" in it ... its ridiculous, I don't want to hear the word "should" that tells me they're not really sure either ... anyway, rant over. 

8 hours ago, Mac said:

DNR office via phone gives an answer with the word "should" in it ... its ridiculous, I don't want to hear the word "should" that tells me they're not really sure either ... anyway, rant over. 

If it's not in writing or point to the relevant regulation, the word of someone at a government office is pretty much useless, they have no liability.  I always try to correspond by email, and continue to prod until I get a real answer.

Good to know the short comings of the map system. Native Corps should be required to map and sign all existing easements as well, several areas along Denali Highway have easements for camping and trails but are still posted "Native Land, No Trespassing".  Have to go digging through Easement Atlases to find them.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 5:51 PM, Sasquatch said:

prod until I get a real answer

Well said. I prefer to do the same, for that reason (emails) but they don't provide replies with answers. They rarely even acknowledge an email. So, have made the drive to Anchorage at least six times in 3 years and met with them. And more times than not I leave with more unanswered questions and a headache. A good friend in Texas is a former Alaskan, he's smart about matters like this and said the same thing applies in Texas. And that it's likely this way intentionally because in so doing they "leave it up to a judge to decide" ... which is precisely my fear. I appreciate your response ... I second guessed having made the above post due to coming across negative. 

What you point out as regards the Denali Hwy is exactly what runs through my mind when there. Yes! ATHNA claims that land all along that stretch yet those are state easements. I don't know how yet but I intend to call attention to this because this same issue occurs in Minto. Right below the signage by the DNR that indicates the area being state land for public access, a Native Corp sign states "Property of (x tribe), No Trespassing." And on that sign in the white space below those words is a drawing in black paint of an assault rifle. The implied meaning could not be any more clear, and having had a couple of confrontations with Natives on the trails leading to Gulkana River north of Glennallen, and in Eureka in GMU 13, those are serious warnings not so much just a threat.   

On 7/25/2018 at 9:45 AM, Mac said:

Summit Lake is an AK State Park/ Recreational Area and those lands are also off limits; cannot do any digging nor defacing of vegatation in any Alaska State Park/ Recreational Area/ Wild & Scenic River, etc.

Just wanted to provide this link, it says metal detectors are allowed in Alaska State Parks but I believe you still cannot do any digging except in streams/gravels bars in Chugach State Park and the Kenai Penninsula State Parks where panning is legal. A bit vague if you cannot dig, but I guess you can look for dropped coins, etc and the historic artifiact/historic site restrictions still exist as well.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/faq.htm#goldpan  Can I use a metal detector? is about halfway down the page.