If You Find Gold Like This, What Is The Machine?

On one of my posts, GM_Amateur asked about the newer version Fisher Gold Bug and Gold Bug-Pro.  He wanted to know if they are Gold Detectors or Multi Purpose.  I classify the Gold Bug and Gold Bug-Pro as true Multi Purpose detectors.  I put the MXT series and F75 in the same category too.  To me, it's a detector with medium kHz operating in the teens and having an adjustable Discriminator capable of rejecting ferrous and nonferrous targets if desired. When I tested the 1st prototypes of the Gold Bug I was very impressed with its sensitivity to small pickers (see photo).  Then when the GB-Pro came out and I was able to get my hands on the larger coil, I was very happy with the performance. The GB & GB Pro were priced right at the time (less than many others), but performed well.  I could take 1 detector on a trip in the mountains and use it for both gold and coin/relics.  

Your thoughts and input please?

DSCN7876.JPG

At22.jpg

DSCN8542.JPG

DSCN9165.JPG

GBC2.JPG

DSCN8560.JPG

DSCN8566.JPG

• Like 7

On 7/23/2018 at 5:53 PM, phrunt said:

The GBP is a bit overpriced now that there are other newer detectors on the market.

I assume you're referring to the $650-$850 historical price range for the Gold Bug family.  (And, yes, I know you are in Lord of the Rings land so your price likely is different.)

First Texas has been running sales here in the US with significant discounts for over a year now.  Recently they had the Teknetics G2+ and the Fisher F19 (both with the same performance as the Fisher Gold Bugs, but with more features) in the $400's if I recall correctly.  Unfortunately that sale recently ended.

Personally I don't think used detectors get enough attention.  Sometimes (as previously has been the case with First Texas) the warranties don't transfer, so that can be an impediment.  And, like buying a used car, you don't know how well or poorly an item was treated.  But, given that the market decides the selling price, usually you can get a good deal if you shop wisely.  As an example check this out -- an amazing buy on a Tek G2+ with two coils and two complete shafts, which probably had a lot to do with the fact that it was only a 3 day auction:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/292650097596?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

I suspect you, phrunt, with two GB-Pros already in house, couldn't have passed up this bargain.  ?

• Like 1