First Older Coins With Equinox 800

Finally getting the learning curve moving forward with the Equinox 800 after getting it in late April and using a Whites XLT for 14 years.  On 9th outing with the NOX yesterday found 1944s and 1940 wheat pennies, 1928d Buffalo nickel, and 35 per cent silver 1943s War nickel.  Starting to find the coins with this awesome machine that I was really frustrated with in the beginning. Of course, every outing depending on where it is will not have older coins, but I can now use the NOX much better to its capabilities. I use the Park 1 only now with recovery speed upped to 6 and iron bias down to 1 and sensitivity from 16-20 based on conditions.  The Buffalo hit pretty solid at 13 and the War nickel at 16 down about 5-6 inches.   Thanks again to Steve and everyone else who gave me hope and suggestions on learning the NOX. I found the sterling silver earring on an earlier outing.  Still learning with it and never finished learning, but makes it much more enjoyable when you start to find coins and the older, deeper targets.  Also, thanks to all the veteran users who submit the ideas for better using the NOX.

fullsizeoutput_1113.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1114.jpeg

IMG_6443.JPG

• Like 8

Good hunting buddy.  Its a silver monster is the equinox!  Over 19 and ... BAM!!!   SILVER!!!!!!  Just have to watch out for the modern pennies at 23-24 and the two pence piece at 27-28.  However silver 9 times out of ten, does a triple VDI, like 19-20-21.

Nice to see others loving the foxy too ?   

I haven't felt loss at working any of Park-1, Park-2, Field-1, and Field-2.  I start with one (usually one of the Parks) and then move to another when the environment (especially EMI) drives me.  Like you, I turn the iron bias way down from the default when in Park-1.  Eqx really is (more than) four detectors in one.  If you only had any one of the modes it would be a top detector.  Getting to choose according to conditions is a bonus.

You said your Warnick ID'ed at 16?  I wonder if that had anything to do with its depth in your (presumably mineralized) soil.  Did you check it after it was recovered?  I've been ignoring 15-17 range but you have me second-guessing my decision, now.  I'm working sites which should produce those desirable targets and sure don't want to miss one.  The only silver nickel I've found was right there with the copper variety -- 12-13.

I was an Uber fan of Park 2.  I used it everywhere, but lately ive switched to Field 2 - sens 19 - Recovery 4 - Iron Bias 0,  and I set up High tones at 20 + VDI.

Lately using Field 2, it has been producing loads of good finds, seems less chirpy and has a cleaner feel to it than Park 2.    Im also now considering using gold 1 or 2 for a park im hitting,  where i need that extra depth.  In tests in my garden (again doesnt mean much if you move to another location)  Gold mode has provided me the most depth, but as you say GB, Its all about soil types and local conditions.  A youtube video showing settings is almost useless, as its location that determines your settings.

Learning more, each and every day!

Andy.

On 7/24/2018 at 4:42 AM, GB_Amateur said:

I haven't felt loss at working any of Park-1, Park-2, Field-1, and Field-2.  I start with one (usually one of the Parks) and then move to another when the environment (especially EMI) drives me.  Like you, I turn the iron bias way down from the default when in Park-1.  Eqx really is (more than) four detectors in one.  If you only had any one of the modes it would be a top detector.  Getting to choose according to conditions is a bonus.

You said your Warnick ID'ed at 16?  I wonder if that had anything to do with its depth in your (presumably mineralized) soil.  Did you check it after it was recovered?  I've been ignoring 15-17 range but you have me second-guessing my decision, now.  I'm working sites which should produce those desirable targets and sure don't want to miss one.  The only silver nickel I've found was right there with the copper variety -- 12-13.

I went back today and double checked the ID on the War nickel in my back yard soil in Reno, NV. It still came in at a solid 16.  But, per previous posts including Steve the ID number on various targets can differ according to the ground conditions.  Regardless,I dig everything to avoid missing any good targets and not have to deal with the same target in the next visit to that site.  Now, a different subject.  I didn't reply to your question sooner as yesterday I was up at Lake Tahoe detecting at a very heavily minialized black sand beach.  I found a 14k gold ring and a sterling silver ring with my pulse induction detector.  This beach is so bad in some areas that the pulse induction detector can find things, but I haven't been able to get the NOX 800 to locate things the pulse detector can.  But, per previous posts including Steve even the NOX can't do all the things and everything that a group of highly specialized  detector can do.  I have tried the NOX at this beach and can find coins but not in the really bad areas or in the same  amount as the pulse detector. However, still learning the NOX and hope to get it to work better in these very advise conditions. I've tried the various modes, decreased the sensivity , increased the recovery speed, etc. , but in the really bad areas has not helped much. 

• Like 1

The Equinox is not going to out gun a pulse induction detector,  especially in high mineralization.  The only advantage the Equinox can give you over the PI is discrimination from iron, but the PI will always be deeper and will pay off if you are willing to dig it all.  I will say that in fresh water, in high mineralization, gold mode might be the ticket for depth especially if you are going for mid-conductive targets like gold.  The PI will win out though, regardless.