Went Hunting With With AT Pro Users

Norm S

I wasn't actually hunting with the At Pro guys but there was an air show at Biloxi beach this weekend and today being Monday brought out every guy that owns a detector or visitors with detectors to hunt the beach. There were 4 guys with AT Pro's and two with Ace 250's. The advantage I really had was no tabs and no cans. I hunted in Beach 1 and Beach 2. I hunted using the factory preset and it worked great. My detector was quiet as a mouse until I hit a target. The AT Pro guys were digging the cans and tabs constantly and I never dug a one. All in all no one found much of anything other than a few pennies. I did find a 10k gold band that rang up at 13 and I thought it was a gold tab but dug it because it rang clear.

The only comment I got was one guy said you won't find much with that detector. I said maybe not but I like it. He said if you don't own an AT Pro you won't find much. He told me where he had found over $30 in clad with it and I said great when did you hunt there and he said in Jan. I said I knew someone had been there when I went in April. He said you didn't find much did you. I said no I only averaged about $4- $5 in clad a day for a month. I said all in all I pulled over $200 in clad from there and 3 rings. He said with that thing and I said yea it's an Equinox and it's the best detector on the market for the money.  He then said what did you find here. I said one gold band and maybe 40 cents in clad. He said well mine is waterproof and I said yes but not in salt water. I said the AT Pro don't like salt water or salt beaches.. I said the Equinox has a beach mode and it's waterproof and you get no scratchy sounds like you do with the AT Pro. I said I am not knocking your detector I had one but I happen to like the Equinox better. I said it's all in how well you know your detector. I said the guy with the ACE 250 found as much as me but he dug a boat load of trash and I never dug a tab. 

In the past two weeks I have met at least 5 guys with new AT Pro's and that's pretty good evidence that the AT Pro is still selling like hot cakes. No doubt they are great detectors because I had one but after I got to be really good with it I wanted a new challenge so I moved up. Up isn't always good if you don't fall in love with the detector. I would venture to say that using 50 tones with the Equinox if you master the tones that no detector will out hunt the Equinox. As far as 50 tones go I would say I am novice at best so I have a steep hill to climb. 

• Like 6

Good post. I also find 50 tones a challenge but am hoping to get better with time. I have probably 300 hours using 5 tones and have come to trust what I hear. With 50 tones all the sounds are at different notes, which makes it confusing to switch back and forth - at least for me.

• Like 2

The mentality of such people is approximately:

"Garrett is the best."

Have you tried any other brand of metal detector and compared it to your Garrett?

"No."

Why not?

"Because Garrett is the best."

• Like 1