The Garrett A2B was typical of machines available at the time. They had a meter, operated as VLF/TR, ten turn ground balance made it easier in hot ground. Solid metal construction, lots of batteries and a bit of weigh. Lucky if it balanced well and more often than not the handle blocked the meter. We have come a long way folks. I take the old girl out when I feel nostalgic and when I know other detectorists will be around. A great conversation piece and it does not go unnoticed.. It has brought back a lot of memories and made me new friends.. 

IMG_1651.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

IMG_1660.JPG

• Like 3

On 7/24/2018 at 4:47 AM, Trent King said:

Does anyone know anything about this little beauty?

My grandfather had one of those when I was growing up!

I remember that he had said that it was one of the better models that could be made at the time.

He could locate almost anything with that little guy and he knew exactly what it would be when he dug it up.

I think he said he could locate a dime almost 9 inches deep with it, but I really can't remember that far back anymore.

Make sure that you clean the battery compartment quite well before installing new batteries and hope the capacitors are still good.

I remember it was very rugged and used standard headphones. He could use it all day without running down the batteries and then use it again for about half a day after that.

Just remember that batteries were not as good as they are now and they had less power in them also.

Great find that you got and remember that it used for hot areas in gold country.

• Like 2