Nox Settings For Fresh Water

When I first started using the 800 I stuck with Park 2 almost exclusively but found that in a couple lakes it wasn't optimal.  At one sandbar in particular it sees the ripples in the sand as a target with constant low signals that don't balance or track out.  This is not unusual as other VLF's I have used do the same.  In another instance at one lake constant ones report for some reason. 

Lately I have switched to field 1 to try and eliminate at least some of the tiny targets the Nox sees.  While it still hits on targets that are hard to keep in the scoop I found that it runs very quiet and smooth in that mode.  While at the sand bar yesterday I was able to run sens at max with absolutely no response to the sand and with extreme depth on non-ferrous targets in the mid-conductor range.  Another benefit is that the edge sensitivity of the coil seems to increase exponentially with the higher gain settings, great for hitting the recent drops while covering an area at a faster clip.

After my first couple water hunts I wasn't sure I could get used to the resistance of the 11" coil.   While it's still a bit of a bugger, I spent 4 solid hours swinging it in the water yesterday and my arm/shoulder don't feel bad at all.  Not sure long term how I'll hold up to it.  Minelab we really need a 9" slim line coil like the X-Terra's for water hunting.

• Like 1

2 tone since I pretty much dig all non-ferrous and tracking GB to keep things smooth.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am disapointed a little with Nox freswater capacibility. You must choice you wanna find chains or rings. Tested the Equinox with a gold chain piece without pendant and clasp. (not thin chain, 3cm long, 1g , 14 karat found by Deus HF coil) , small rings, etc.    The detector pick this gold chain, only  Park 2, and Gold 1,2 mode. If you want use these modes in water and the ground got continously 1 TDI , you never will found. The rings not problem I think, but i did 40-50 hour hunt with nox and didn't find any gold thing.