Software Update Under Progress

I've asked Minelab, if there's going to be an update available anytime soon.. because that user profile thingy spoiled my mood 2 times recently. This is the answer I've got:

"Thanks for your enquiry, I apologise for you not receiving a reply yet. Our engineering team are currently working on a software update for the Equinox, due to the complexity of this update they do not have a release date yet. Please watch our website for the software to be released."

Good news: There's going to be an software update available!

Bad news: Nobody knows when it's going to be released

Concerns: If it's so complex, hopefully it doesn't change anything we like about the nox. And if it does, is there the possibility to downgrade the firmware afterwards?

Just wanted to let you know!

9/5/18 - Minelab Equinox Software Update Released

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info.  But until I hear an actual release date, I am assuming ML is not actually working on anything.  I too am afraid that fixing one thing (that can be worked around, though annoying) may indeed break something else.  I don't heavily customize tone breaks so when I do manage to blunder may way into the user profile bug, I haven't lost much in terms of saved settings.  But I know a lot of users do, so I am not saying ML's most apparent true Equinox bug should not eventually be addressed.  But frankly, fearing some sort of unintended consequence, will definitely wait until the dust settles to see how the first SW update goes before I even think of downloading it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I like what I have. I don't have any problems that I can't overcome. And, if it ain't broke

I don't want to fix it (until the update is proven out by experienced users to their satisfaction).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

until the update is proven out by experienced users to their satisfaction

If we're all thinking that way, we're going round in circles :biggrin:

Maybe the term REBOOT will go away.   Im still pressing for better beach programs.   Right now they dont even have a way to get it to us...... unless they regroup and do use the CTX site.   Personally....... id like to see an option, use the one you have or an upgrade with the ability to use either.  

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'll bang it on the day it comes out, why have faith in the original firmware but not an updated improved one? It's very rare with firmware you can't flash back to a previous version if absolutely necessary.

Agree IF they roll out the infrastructure to enable roll backs which they should (my phone company does NOT do that and if I don't like how the upgrade changed things I am stuck with it unless I want to use hacked firmware and command line interfaces and risk bricking my phone).   But if they were really thinking thst SW updates would be a regular thing  I would have thought there would be a site already set up with the original firmware and a process for reflashing.  I am not sure ML has that all figured out the like way XP and Makro/Nokta do things.  But obviously, they did something to roll out updates to the original testers but Steve has been mum on how all that worked, likely due to his NDA.  It would be enlightening to see how firmware updates were handled in the testing phases.  When I hear "its complex" then that says to me greater likelihood of unintended consequences.  So flashing back to square one IS a must have.  

I'm leary of doing updates. I had an early MX Sport and it ran perfect. I sent it in for the update and it came back not working right. They sent me another one and it still wasn't working right. I wish I had never did the update. 

So if it's working good don't change it. 

Rick

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sinclair said:

I've asked Minelab, if there's going to be an update available anytime soon.. because that user profile thingy spoiled my mood 2 times recently.

Please elaborate...

strick

• Like 1

3 hours ago, strick said:

Please elaborate...

We discussed the problems in some threads. I can't get them all together..

Or here:

Basically I use beach1 with adjusted tonebreaks for eurocoins most of the time. I've saved a park1 profile as user profile with changed tonebreaks, tone pitches and frequency as a special coinshooting / verify profile. I've been out with a fellow detectorist - if I am in multifrequency, I disturb his machine plenty.. so I switched to my user profile 10kHz - no interference anymore.. but I've simply forgotten to switch back to beach mode before shutting down the machine (habit, because I use beach1 98% of the time and the user profile only temporary). So I ended up with beach1 having my user profile settings, which are completely different, because a 2€ coin rings 16 in beach1 and 20 in park1 for example. I detect based on tone most of the time, so the machine isn't usable in this state anymore.. you'll have to correct all the settings or reset the profile and begin from scratch - If you still remember your hard earned settings! :laugh:

That's a real pita, if you only have 1h left to hunt .. and you got used to your settings for 100s of hours... it's like a complete different machine..

I've taken photos of the settings now, for a fast recoverytime :happy:

• Like 1