Software Update Under Progress

6 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

So flashing back to square one IS a must have

Yeah.. but I am afraid, Minelab won't publish the initial version :ph34r: I don't know If it is possible to save the exsting firmware somehow either..

• Sad 1

I appreciate the info, Sinclair.  Glad to hear there's an update being worked out, to perhaps fix a few of the little "quirks" the machine has.  Not that it's not a real nice machine already, but any improvements Minelab might make, would likely mean that much better of a machine, from my perspective.

Steve

• Like 1

Yes Chase being able to flash back to "square one" is a must. I had a great experience with the GPZ software update process but would have been more hesitant if it couldn't have been flashed back since it was working well before the update - my opinion about an Equinox update is the same; I expect it will work and work well but there has to be a way back jik.

• Like 1

I've used mine enough that it's just become second nature for me to shut off the user profile when I'm done with it. Honestly any program you have set up once you're familiar with the Equinox can be set back up very quickly if you forget to get out of your user profile. 

I do understand for the new users and guys that don't get to hunt as much it can be a little frustrating. Good to know they're working on a fix. Might be easier to just change the owner's manual.  lol

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 6:58 PM, Chase Goldman said:

Thanks for the info.  But until I hear an actual release date, I am assuming ML is not actually working on anything.  I too am afraid that fixing one thing (that can be worked around, though annoying) may indeed break something else.  I don't heavily customize tone breaks so when I do manage to blunder may way into the user profile bug, I haven't lost much in terms of saved settings.  But I know a lot of users do, so I am not saying ML's most apparent true Equinox bug should not eventually be addressed.  But frankly, fearing some sort of unintended consequence, will definitely wait until the dust settles to see how the first SW update goes before I even think of downloading it.

I've learned to be a late adapter of new firmware/os. Especially on a mission critical device. 

11 hours ago, Tometusns said:

I do understand for the new users and guys that don't get to hunt as much it can be a little frustrating.

What do you try to tell me - I don't hunt much with the Nox? :laugh:

Come on.. it's a major bug and a no go. The Nox is a nice machine, we all love it, but there's no reason to whitewash  it's flaws!

By the way - it doesn't only mess up your settings while shutting down... That's the reason I began to only use it occasionally - see other threads.

1 hour ago, Sinclair said:

What do you try to tell me - I don't hunt much with the Nox? :laugh:

No sir,  Sinclair I wasn't trying to imply that at all and I'm sorry if you took it that way. 

I simply remember to shut off the user profile when I'm done with it before shutting down the machine. It's become just a normal routine for me and I don't have any problems. Thus my statement about the owners manual if it would have said ALWAYS turn off the user profile setting before turning the machine off we wouldn't be here right now. 

Thanks for your info about minelab working on a fix but until then I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Like I said it's just habit for me now to shut it off. 

Good luck and HH!! Tom

17 hours ago, Tometusns said:

No sir,  Sinclair I wasn't trying to imply that at all and I'm sorry if you took it that way.

No worries, Tom - I've been a little bit ironic there.. :smile:

Yes, I got used to it, too.. but there are moments you'll forget it, and it's just not practical. Like a car's airbag would only open, if you take your foot off the brake pedal or something - no one would accept that :cool:

• Like 1

The Nox is a little RAW...... unlike the CTX that evolved into a refined machine coming from years of changes from a solid platform.  Im wondering how long these buttons will last?   We do an awfully lot more button pushing it seems.   I dont think anyone using the Nox dont see a need for some immediate changes...... but is it really going to come with the model?   ML hasnt proven they make changes unless it getting a lot of negative  publicity...... like the flooding of the CTX.   Most of us fixed it way before ML did.   But ...... im hopeful because i dont like to have to reboot....... or want to see a black or water filled screen.

4 hours ago, Sinclair said:

Yes, I got used to it, too.. but there are moments you'll forget it, and it's just not practical. 

Yep, I agree 100% and hopefully they will get it worked out soon. I'm getting ready to turn 62 and I certainly have my moments... lol. Here's hoping a bucket lister gets under your coil my friend. Good luck!! ?