Software Update Under Progress

There are more or less important problems to solve, I hope that between these there is the normalization of the TID and the compression of the scale related to the zone 14-20 which for the European targets is really a disaster.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 11:21 PM, Xergix said:

There are more or less important problems to solve, I hope that between these there is the normalization of the TID and the compression of the scale related to the zone 14-20 which for the European targets is really a disaster.

The compression of the scale is the sole reason I did not buy an Equinox, I am not holding my breath either hoping Minelab will address the problem. I am afraid its the way it is and it wont be fixed. I don't see the point in buying a multifrequency machine and then having to hunt in 5khz, might as well use what I have all ready. We asked for years to have the lower portion in the combine screen on the CTX to be split, only to fall on deaf ears. 

Minelab's statement means little. Software tweaks are not particularly "complex" for the programmers who have been working with the Nox all along; but I'm sure that for some of the identified bugs there are tradeoffs involved in the fixes. ML probably is on top of the situation to a degree, cataloging bugs and deciding whether it wants to change the code in machines still being built; but whether that means existing users ever see firmware updates is another question. The Nox is apparently selling well as is, and ML does not have a great reputation in that department.

20 minutes ago, Dubious said:

Minelab's statement means little. Software tweaks are not particularly "complex" for the programmers who have been working with the Nox all along; but I'm sure that for some of the identified bugs there are tradeoffs involved in the fixes. ML probably is on top of the situation to a degree, cataloging bugs and deciding whether it wants to change the code in machines still being built; but whether that means existing users ever see firmware updates is another question. The Nox is apparently selling well as is, and ML does not have a great reputation in that department.

Hate to say it, but if I were betting on what ML is actually going to do, this probably comes close to what I think the reality will be.  Track record is a big indicator, and ML's track record on updating SW is not the greatest compared to the competition, like XP and Nokta/Makro.  Though, I am not aware of any US companies that even support online firmware upgrades.

The big question mark is whether ML will actually even make the effort to roll out updated software in factory units, and more importantly, inform the public that they have done so.  Since the Equinox does not display a firmware version on boot up that I am aware of, not sure how we could even know except for folks identifying the disappearance of obvious bugs such as the user profile issue.  

I am not expecting anything from ML regarding updates until they actually post an update utility in advance of any release, otherwise, it's vaporware for the time being.

Hoping I am completely wrong and Sinclair was getting at least some accurate info from ML.

What I thought - it will be possible, if they provide it.

Time will tell :happy:

• Like 1

Excellent news, this makes us more relaxed.