It Paid Off To Knock On A Few Doors

In the past I always was nervous to knock on stranger's doors so I stuck to public areas where permission wasn't necessary or asked friends and family to detect their properties. For the last year and a half I have worked part time as a union organizer. It involved knocking on a lot of doors. It also gave me the courage to knock on some doors and ask permission to metal detect. I was granted permission to detect a home dating back to the early 1800's. I had a blast finding mostly wheat pennies but moved to the base of a big maple and found the shoe buckle. I then began digging iffy signals since the lawn was loaded with cut nails and I found the large cent and then the IH. Both were 9-10" deep.

IMG_20180725_211920_675.jpg

IMG_20180725_211920_676.jpg

20180725_204400.jpg

20180725_145235.jpg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, LipCa said:

Nice finds... (couldn't have been much of a lawn with that hole!)

LOL LipCa thanks and good point on the hole. That big hole was down over the bank from the house and it was already a patchy area to begin with but I made sure that it looked good when I left.

Howdy Chaps,

I always use the hinge method as to keep the root system connected.  And make an effort to "appear" respectful as well as actually "being" respectful.

I've had permissions that have lead into further access just by making the extra effort in regards to taking care of peoples land.

P.S - Nice pics and coins Forever-T .

Andy.

• Like 1

thanks as well Andy I do too but like I said this was over the bank in an area that wasn't really lawn. I use the hinge method in parks as well because I don't want to ruin it for anybody else. In the woods and in plowed fields I make sure that I cover up my holes as well. I appreciate you guys looking out for us.

The reason I posted the pic of the hole wasn't to wasn't too show my  tendancy for poor digging methods I just wanted to show how it was pretty cool to see that Buckle in the bottom of the hole and I apologize for posting evidence of poor digging methods. I am respectful of peoples property and when I instruct others how to metal detect I always make it a point to show them how did dig carefully and to use the hinge method. There were so many roots in the area I had to make a judgement call which I didn't think what happened in effect in the long run. I do appreciate everybody's comments though thanks

No apology needed, IMO.  There's a huge difference between digging in fertilized, manicured, thick, weed-free, well-watered sod and dry weed-infested hardpack with little or no grass.  I've done both and there's just no comparison.

Oh, I almost forgot -- nice loot!

2 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

No apology needed, IMO.  There's a huge difference between digging in fertilized, manicured, thick, weed-free, well-watered sod and dry weed-infested hardpack with little or no grass.  I've done both and there's just no comparison.

Oh, I almost forgot -- nice loot!

Thanks a bunch GB! I remember having permission at a really fancy place dating back to the early eighteen-hundreds where I found a lot of great finds. I got a great signal smack-dab in the middle of the front yard. I very carefully ? Doug down to see what it was and it ended up being a flat box. Unfortunately there were a lot of roots around it and I didn't want to put a big hole in the lawn. I left it there and it still haunts me LOL I figured I would ask the homeowner at some point if I could do some morein depth  digging in that area said she wasn't there at the time. Not long after the place was sold and my wife told her about my experience and she said why the heck didn't he dig it up it could have been a box full of cash or treasure after all it's only a lawn LOL 

• Like 1

Excellent finds FT !!!!  Awesome 1800's coins. You seem to be killing it every time you go out.

I always look forward to your posts. 

59 minutes ago, Happa54 said:

Excellent finds FT !!!!  Awesome 1800's coins. You seem to be killing it every time you go out.

I always look forward to your posts. 

Thanks a bunch Happa! I have been blessed to have some free time lately and it sure is nice to go out and find some good stuff. I think this is my best year yet!