GPZ On The Beach

Good Question, for the price you would think it should be better than anything else in any environment........

............just my 2 cents worth.

There is an indirect report from JP at http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t20896-silly-ml#201830 which would indicate that the GPZ may not be the best solution for extreme salt situations at this time. Probably OK on drier beach sands but still an open question.

Salt water is conductive as is sand soaked with salt water. It signals just fine on a sensitive metal detector. Small gold items like earrings or thin chains read exactly the same as the salt water signal.

There is no way a metal detector that uses conductivity can detect small gold items or very faint deep items without also picking up the salt water. Conversely, if they tune out the salt water, they cannot pick up the small gold items or very faint deep items. This is the basic catch 22 for designers of beach detectors and there honestly is not likely to be a solution as long as electromagnetics are involved.

Which is to say I do not expect the GPZ to do anything more than hopefully handle wet salt sand or salt water, but it will do so by imposing the same limitations on it as exist for other detectors. However, in dry sands or fresh water beach sands it will probably outperform most if not all other detectors for depth and sensitivity to small items.

I would be surprised if the GPZ was not a good salt water beach machine, as all Minelab multi-frequency and PIs (Sd, GP, GPXs) are all excellent salt water beach detectors. So looking forward to hearing how the GPZ is on the beach.