Equinox 800 Suddenly Not Charging

Got my RMA this morning, sending in the touchpad, and handle/ battery and they say turnaround time( whether fix or replaced) about a week?

I'll be using my f75 with 10"x5" dd coil until I get my 800 back. I've been doing well with the f75 with this coil. 

Im also now on a wait list for a 6" equinox coil. How can I not get one?

• Like 1

Glad they are replacing it for you.  Would really like to know what actually crapped out on it (battery or charge electronics) but I doubt they will actually know until they send it back to the factory for analysis, days or weeks from now.

I am selling a lot of older machines in the wake of my experience with the Equinox.  Hanging on to my F75 though.  It is the only machine I have left that can accommodate a concentric coil.

41 minutes ago, phrunt said:

they could tell in one minute with a multimeter even at the service center, I'm betting my left eyeball it was the battery.  :blink:

I think it would be the battery too. But ..? 

As for the battery . I would love to see one being taken out of the machine on Youtube . 

Might need to replace one one day .

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

they could tell in one minute with a multimeter even at the service center, I'm betting my left eyeball it was the battery.  :blink:

I agree with you, but the US "service center" is just a distribution center with a bunch of spare Equinox rods, accessories, and head units or complete units.  They are simply replacing components and doing no troubleshooting whatsoever from what I can tell.  The real ML detector service center in PA is not being utilized for the Equinox.

Regarding it being the battery, I have never heard of a Li Ion cell refusing to charge yet continuing to provide power to the device.   They usually just fail hard and go dead due to the internal protective circuit or electrode failure.  I am not an expert on Li batteries, but the reported symptom of no charge yet ability to provide power is an odd combo, that is why I was considering the charge circuit.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 3:05 PM, Sinclair said:

I would like to see one being taken out . It might not be easy?

Thanks for educating me, Phrunt.  I did Google that very thing b4 I posted.  I got a detailed  rundown of failure modes in one article  and one video on how to revive a dormant battery.  None of them mentioned the battery still providing power.  My experience has been down hard failures in all instances of camcorder li batteries, laptops, tablets, and phones.  You have more electronics hardware and manufacturing experience than I do.  

Yeah.  I read all through your supplied info and it was like the other article I read regarding protective circuits etc but no mention of continued operation at all.  Either you are dead or the circuit recovers and the battery restores to normalcy, including ability to take a charge.  1 of 50 sounds like a lot less than "very common", but glad you found a real life example for me.  I value your practical experience on the supply side.   My career experience has been on power system design vs. small component design.  I too would be interested in knowing whether they replace the entire control head or just the battery.  Thanks, again.

1 hour ago, Nuke em said:

I would like to see one being taken out . It might not be easy?

It‘s only held by one screw and then can be pulled out. Nothing difficult as far as I can see..

On 7/31/2018 at 4:18 PM, phrunt said:

Here is someone talking about this exact problem with their trimmer? hedge trimmer I imagine

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1391377

It's will be interesting if the service center just replaces the battery or hands out a new detector. ?

Probably in 49 out of 50 battery failures you were right, but that leaves the one, when working in a service center in a big city you get hundreds a year so you really see a lot going on.  I worked in the Queensland/Brisbane service center for ASUS and NEC in Australia, we also did a lot of other brands but only out of warranty claims on them. 

They didn't say what they would do but they said to just send in the handle with battery inside and touchpad. I suppose they could send a new detector but then I'd have to return the rest, and mine is modified with s-shaft and folding gadget and I absolutely intend to keep it. These mods make it ultra portable and give it about the same ergonomics as my f75 only lighter. I love it! Doesn't even have any wobble issues. 

I will for sure ask them what they believe the problem was and relate that on this thread.