Who Has The MX Sport Maybe The MX 7

I just find it hard to believe I’m the only one on here that has a Sport. If you do I’d like to hear from you. Hey if not it how about the MX 7 .

The only two in the news at this time is the Goldmaster 24K that will be out the 1st of August. The other just as well be in fantasy  land and that’s the TDI Beach Hunter.

If you got a White’s that you know Noah had before you, let’s talk.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:45 AM, Ridge Runner said:

I just find it hard to believe I’m the only one on here that has a Sport. If you do I’d like to hear from you. Hey if not it how about the MX 7 .

If you got a White’s that you know Noah had before you, let’s talk.

Chuck

Chuck, Please excuse my delay in responding to your post.  This getting old crap is sure making life miserable at times.  I've been living with pain and impaired mobility off-and-on since an on-the-job injury in Sept. of '87 when I worked at Compass, but full-time misery since late '90.  Then an injury March 2nd of this year left me with a mild tear to my left rotator cuff, and a complex fall on my cement driveway the first of April caused a severe tear to my right rotator cuff and other issues in my shoulder and neck. 

The resulting issues have really limited my opportunities to get out detecting this past four months, but when I do the bulk of my swing-time is spent with a White's model in-hand.  Oh, I still manage to get some time in with my also excellent working Nokta CoRe and Relic devices, but lighter weight and comfortable balance are what I crave the most so far this year.

I ended 2017 using a terrific, multi-purpose MX-7 as the only White's in my current Regular-Use Detector Team, but I now enjoy owning and using several models of that brand that have all proven themselves to me in the past.   I started out the year by adding a 'Noah hand-me-down'  XLT to my 'detector team' and equipped myself with my preferred 6½" Concentric coil for it.  In May I made a trade of a brand new extra MX-7 for a choice-condition modified Classic ID with the 5½" Ferret Concentric coil.

I swapped a back-up Nokta FORS Relic for an MX Sport in June or July, and then on the 28th of last month I bought an MX-5 'package' that included the 6½" Concentric coil.   I live in the high plateau desert region of far Eastern Oregon so I'm not close to any sandy coastal beaches, and my hampered mobility and use of a cane full-time make it difficult to beach hunt in soft, loose sand the past quarter century.

Besides, I can't swim and never did more than wade out only to very shallow depths when I did.  I like the MX Sport, but I plan to sell it with a brand new set of waterproof headphones and an extra search coil simply because I don't need it because my MX-7 uses the same circuitry and serves all my needs.  The MX-7 and modified Classic ID with the smaller coil are my two most comfortable TID equipped detectors to handle, and all of my 'team' spend the bulk of their time Relic Hunting and perhaps 10% to 20% of the time are used for typical Coin Hunting applications.

There's no such thing as a 'perfect' detector which is why I also have current models from Fisher, Makro, Nokta and Tesoro, along with some older favorites I occasionally use but mainly have for seminars and training sessions.  Those include Compass TR's, a Garrett Hunter BFO and TR-Disc. units, and an early Teknetics Mark I Ltd.

Naturally, every detector that makes the cut to be on my Regular-Use Team has to have functional features and in-the-field performance, but I can't ignore the 'fun factor', either.  'All' models that stay in my arsenal are 'fun' to use, and I do get a lot of 'fun' and enjoyment out of using my MX-7.

Like you, I am not certain why so many have been caught up in the XP and Minelab offerings this past three or four years, and it seems like many USA based manufacturers have been ignored over that period of time.  I know that I hear from some people who think the MX Sport / MX-7 are repackaged clones from the MXT / MXT Pro, but they are based on new circuitry and do have different features and some differences in performance as well.

Perhaps some of the terrible promotional videos at release time for the MX Sport didn't help, nor the fact that it was rushed-to-market before pre-production field use and evaluation which left early releases with a lot of glitches.  Well, they got those worked out and went on to make a great land-use version of the Sport with the MX-7.

I do wish more White's consumers would step up and contribute their views as there have to be more than the two of us using these really versatile models.

Monte

• Like 3

Monte 

Thank for posting! It was a good read from beginning to end. I was about to tell you it may be good to find a dark corner until your trouble past.

For years I had my Eagle 2 but like anything it was showing it’s age. I too have the MX Sport and had others before it. At this time if it will be others in my life just not sure.

You were talking about trouble walking with a cane on the beach try this then. If you have a wooden cane find something about the same size as a large tin can lid. Then drill a hole in it but it will have to be thicker than a lid so not to bend. To put it on the end of the cane and this will keep it from sinking in the sand. I’m sorry to say I offer no warranty with this. ha ha 

Keep me posted on here of your finds.

The Best 

Chuck

• 4 weeks later...

I bought an MX Sport last week. I put about 25 hours on it this week. I’m very impressed with it. I’m going back to places I’ve hunted extensively and I can’t believe how much I’m finding. First day I found a 1920 Merc dime, here in Canada. I’ve dug around 300 coins this week. Did I have those other detectors even turned on?

• Like 1

Dan

It’s good to hear that you are enjoying detecting with your new MX Sport, Sometimes I say it’s luck on finding coins but at the same time it’s the detector you’re swinging and luck has nothing to do with it.

Chuck

We all know that the Sport comes with the 10” DD coil. I have the 7”DD, 6” concentric, 9.5 concentric and the 6 X 10 DD but yet used the 9.5 concentric coil . I have it on now and if it will stop raining I plan on detecting with it next.

I’d say all the other coils work great but I have a soft spot in my heart for a concentric coil, I’m going back over some of the places I’ve hunted to prove to myself that the concentric gives you more depth than others.

I was just giving a air test on the 9.5 concentric to see if it gave the same ID on a coin flat to the coil are on edge and it did. I can’t say the same for the other coils but will check it at a later date .

I don’t know about the rest of you but I’m putting that TDI Beach Hunter on my wishlist for Christmas.

The Best To All !

Chuck

• Like 1

Hi,

I had an MX7 for four months and really liked it for the most part. My reasons for not keeping it are: it was not balanced very well and caused some fatigue on longer hunts, the 8 AA batteries didn't help the weight problem and the detector seemed to be a power hog especially with rechargeable batteries, the recovery speed and separation on adjacent targets was average at best. I am a part-time prospector and I was not impressed with the MX7 on small gold. My old Compadre was better at target separation and small gold detecting. Go figure???

Just for fun I borrowed a Whites Treasuremaster for a while and really liked it for coin shooting So did my daughter. The TreasurePro with manual ground balancing might be something that I look at in the future.  I love my TDI SL.

Instead of the MX7, I opted for the Equinox 800 for my main detector and have not looked back. It's excellent target separation, recovery speed, frequency flexibility and all around amazing performance on an incredible array of targets and detecting environments make it an almost perfect VLF detector for my needs especially with the 6" coil and after the recent software update. I don't care for the size of the grip handle but since the batteries are inside I'm stuck with it.

• Like 1

Interesting and shows just how subjective weight, balance, and hand grips are. I don't think it is really possible to make a properly balanced detector under 3 lbs because stock coil size/weight determines how a detector will balance. The only way to properly balance a detector is to add weight under the elbow, and the obvious way to do that is put the batteries there. A certain amount of offsetting weight is needed, and reducing the eight AA batteries to four (for instance) would shave a little off the weight but also make the detector more nose heavy. I therefore consider the MX7 to be better balanced than the lighter Equinox (or Deus or any other under 3 lb detectors) and that makes for a better feel on my arm. I prefer the grip on the MX7 also.

But that's just me! :smile:

Do keep in mind this is a White's forum. Machine brand comparisons are best posted on neutral ground - the Metal Detector Advice & Comparisons Forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff

A guy needs to be happy with his detector .That is the first most important thing. Anything after that I really  wouldn’t care if I was you.

The Best!

Chuck