I Found A Good One Today :-)

Incredible ... can't imagine finding such an old coin. Neat to see the photos of the state of the coin when found. What a neat book it would make, a coffee-table size book of all the finds of detectorists

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

It would be nice to be even able to find stuff that old, New Zealands first town was formed in the early 1800's.. 1840 is when the first towns really started to form with five taking shape but none around where I live.

I feel for you Phrunt. I appreciate you pointing that out as well because sometimes I'll find stuff that I consider trash but I need to keep in mind that it is treasure as well because it's so old. I have been blessed to visit the lake Taupo area and fish for some big brown trout up in the mountains and people back here in the states wish they could live in New Zealand for the big trout. I guess we all have our trade-offs ? if you're ever over visiting New York or New England let me know I'll bring you out and we'll find some old stuff. We have an extra room too if you wanted to stay overnight.

6 hours ago, Mac said:

Incredible ... can't imagine finding such an old coin. Neat to see the photos of the state of the coin when found. What a neat book it would make, a coffee-table size book of all the finds of detectorists

Thanks a bunch Mac! It would be an amazing book to have all the pictures detailing the anticipation and excitement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/30/2018 at 4:10 PM, foreverteachable said:

I was hunting an old field and found an old button and after rubbing it with some vegetable oil to preserve it I went back to the same spot and found this old coin. I was shaking all over as I gently cleaned it off and rubbed it with a lightly oiled paper towel. I looked it up and it is a colonial Vermont copper from around 1785.

IMG_20180730_154658_053.jpg

20180730_152338-1024x576.jpg

I'm seeing a 1786 VERMONTENSIUM..
Very nice 1818 large cent as well..
Wonderful finds both..! :cool:

Swamp

• Like 2

On 12/20/2018 at 5:05 PM, foreverteachable said:

Thanks a bunch it was an amazing day and I hope things have turned over in the spring and I might find another coin or two in the same spot

I hope you can too.. You're on some incredible ground there as far as finding early presses of both colonial and USA coinage goes.. Finds of 18th century foreign coinage is, let's say, "common" in the NE US.. Late 18th & early 19th century USA struck coins..? Not so much.. Good hunting to you come springtime..!

Swamp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1