What Is Your Best Mode / Settings For Your Super Trashy Park?

Happa54

Hey everyone... 

I love hunting small areas with targets at every inch and want to hear your experience in them with your Nox.

I can only take 2-3 hours of pounding to the brain before I have to move on to quieter ground.

The separating of targets is a challenge, time consuming and hones your skills.

I am mostly in either Field 2 or Park 1. I block out mid conductors with nickels open at 12/13. I also open up iron to give relief to the ears from all the high conduct signals.

Upon hitting a signal I like, it goes into AM to get a better read on the target. In less trashy areas, I go AM all the way. 

50 tones is my preferred setting on all modes and I use no iron bias. 

Due to the high volume of signals I receive, makes me that much better at target identification with the exception to rusted nails & rusted bottle caps. These fool me every time.

One of my hunting buddies who like me, loves to work the heavily congested areas with his Etrac pulls out a lot of silver. 

Just the other day while hunting a terribly polluted small area in a park, he decided to dig a screeching screw cap...just under it lies a merc. He didn't know it was there but due to the age of the park and layers of century old trash, chances are good there is something good beneath. 2 weeks prior, a hunch convinced him to dig an iron signal (AAA battery) and beneath was a wonderful surprise. A Walker, GW, War Nik, Wheat, and a Merc. 

My best coins have come out of this park irrespective of it's fame to be the most hunted out park in Los Angeles. It is my opinion that these heavily polluted areas are ignored due to the insane amount of signals/targets. 

Do any of you have these environments in your neck of the woods and if so, how do you hunt them with your Nox?

Many of you may have the same approach as me in these types of environments,  but I would be interested in hearing what you have to say. 

I love this Nox in that everything that I need to do is with a flick of the thumb on the control box.

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Thanx for stopping in. 

I would approach it the same way you are doing it.  One thing you said, though, was that rusted bottlecaps fool you every time.  If you are indeed hitting the AM button every time you get a worthy signal, I have foun the bottlecaps give themselves away 90+ % of the time with that little iron grunt off the edge of the coil.  Try taking the coil way of center of where you think the bottle cap is and listen for the telltale grunt.  It becomes super obvious especially in coin rich environments like beaches.  Sounds like you should pound that LA park into oblivion and it is a ripe candidate for the six inch coil.  HH

• Like 1

Happa, your take on the settings is close to where I am at also. At first I did not like using Park 1, made the change to 50 tones/0 iron bias and am much happier with that mode now. I'm still new to detecting, started in Jan 2015, there are times trying to figure out settings for a location is a hit and miss proposition.

15 hours ago, Happa54 said:

I can only take 2-3 hours of pounding to the brain before I have to move on to quieter ground.

One nice feature that can be applied in 5 tone (with the 800 model) is lowering the volume by tone zone.  I, like many of you, want to hear 12-13 stand out as well as the higher conductors (19 and above if Indian Head Pennies are a possibility, 22 and above otherwise).  So I set the zone volumes high for nickels and 'silver', low for iron, and medium for the other two.  I also adjust the tone frequencies of the zones so that nickels are almost as high as silver, pull-tab zone next, small foil, and lowest iron.

Turning down the volume of the trash zones reduces the fatigue of swinging over extremely trashy areas as you describe.  Still, it's not a perfect solution.

• Like 1

For real trashy parks I use my Cherry Pickin program saved to my user slot. I started with Park 1, made the below changes and then saved it to my User Profile.

Gain 22, Disc 9

Tone Breaks 2/11/13/22

Tones 1/6/20/15/25

Notch 15-19 & 39-40

Of course you could miss some gold rings with this program but runs quiet and pulls the coins from among the trash. Eliminates most pull tabs and Nickles are higher tone and easy to pick out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Slick said:

For real trashy parks I use my Cherry Pickin program saved to my user slot. I started with Park 1, made the below changes and then saved it to my User Profile.

Gain 22, Disc 9

Tone Breaks 2/11/13/22

Tones 1/6/20/15/25

Notch 15-19 & 39-40

Of course you could miss some gold rings with this program but runs quiet and pulls the coins from among the trash. Eliminates most pull tabs and Nickles are higher tone and easy to pick out.  

I am a little confused.  You disc up to TID 9 but have the first tone break at 2??

For these super trashy sites the 6inch coil will do very well.

Field 2 is OK but I personally would not use Park1 in these areas

Park2 is better suited to greater trash density

Perhaps try the 10khz check on anything suspected as being iron, I find it works well for me.

Happy hunting ☺️

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Um, good question posed here.

Use 5 tones, tone breakmfor higher comductors, you can set to 20, but zincolns and twist caps will sing out. Raise break to say 22 or. 23 that should get rid of them or most anyway. Speeds 6,7, or 8 with stock coil. Speeds 5, 6and  7 for 6”coil.

park 1or park 2.  And believe  it or not, single freq 5khz is dynamite to use too.  Actually i have been testing, there are some scenarios where 5khz detects and gives me clues of higher conductor whereas using park and field modes using multi freq won’t.

Remember there are few detectors if any than run at 5 khz or below and are as fast as nox is.

Cheers.

Small 6”coil is dynamite on Nox.

I have a thread here in detector comparison section.  Folks might find the info i have posted helpful.  Both Nox with stock coil and nox with 6” coil.

13 hours ago, NSC said:

For these super trashy sites the 6inch coil will do very well.

Field 2 is OK but I personally would not use Park1 in these areas

Park2 is better suited to greater trash density

Perhaps try the 10khz check on anything suspected as being iron, I find it works well for me.

Happy hunting ☺️

Many thanks to all of you for your comments & suggestions. I always take away something positive from it.

NSC: Not to disagree with your suggestion but when I'm in Park2 or Field2, I pick up the tiniest of junk targets in these polluted areas. The Nox will hit strong on itsy bitsy pieces of metal and takes me way too long to locate em even with my G Carrot. Seems that when I hunt in Park 1, the machine is a bit more tame and manageable. The jury is not in yet on the best modes for me. In fact, I like using all modes. 

But still.... it's all a learning curve for me and as time goes by I just get better at what the machine is telling me. I don't mind not having the tones breaks, etc that the 800 has to offer because I am used to hearing it all "au naturale" now in 50 tones. 

My primary settings are;  Park1, multi, 50 tones, 0- IB, iron open, mid conductors blocked, nickels open, high conductors open. 

This allows me to hear the buffs, V's, high conduct coins, and now this past Sunday I got a 18k gold ring off a nickel signal. 

Thanx for stopping in and as always... HH

Chase - the tone break at 2 with the disc set at 9 is due to backing into the tone breaks as I usually run the my tone breaks set as described above and after hunting for awhile with the disc set at 0 -1, I decided to raise the disc to 9 to avoid much of the smaller foil targets and just left the breaks where I had them.  

• Like 1

• The title was changed to What Is Your Best Mode / Settings For Your Super Trashy Park?