• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By kac
      Sometimes I do a quick search on old coins I find on ebay for quickie reference on what people are selling them for and think I found a counterfeit ring going on. See back of this quarter for example:
      You will notice where there is detail it is raised more which leads me to believe that it was created from a 3d scan. I say that because typically 3d scanner will not have enough resolution no matter how good and will average the heights when details are too close and small causing a puffiness in that area. A coin back then was done from a large master and milled on a pantograph milling machine. 
      Now coins dies are made from edm (electrical discharge machining) where a graphite master is burned into the die then it's polished.
      Anyways the prices on them are ridiculously low and there seems to be a lot of subtle oddities that make me suspicious. The example I showed a real 1943 silver in half descent condition would be around $20-$30 and not $0.99.
      Who do I contact on that? Does ebay care?
      Anyways buyer beware on that.
    • By normmcq
      Knowing that my coin would never be graded as a very expensive coin although very desirable, I decided to make it look better for my personal viewing. I looked at a lot of U tube videos and read several things about cleaning silver without damaging the object. Just wanting to know the outcome before trying the method on my coin,. I tried it on other objects. I settled on using cotton balls, Q tips and non abrasive Carnuba oil auto polish. This didn't seem to leave any scratches, only cleaned and polished it. As you can see, all of the scratches and marks from being in the ground for about 140 plus years are still there.

• By calabash digger
      This how I clean my iron relics using electrolysis..

• By Lobo Lover
      Hello to All Members,
                                            We have been finding many pre-decimal New Zealand Coins. After washing off the dirt they are covered in a layer of patina, that dull brown stuff which we have been reading should not be removed for poor technique will devalue the coins worth. Toothbrushes, bristle brushes, chemical compounds and polishing cloths are a No-No, but they look so nice and shiny to a novice like me.  Also just to let you guys know that electrolysis is not the way to go that ate a few of my good coins.
            We have been reading  that valuable coins are "Best left to a Professional", so it can be done the proper way!  What do they use? How do they do it without depreciating the value of the coin? Is there a knowledgeable Coin Expert who is willing to divulge their secrets, not for me but for the sake of the coin? 
            Failing that, how should the coin be presented to a potential buyer or collector with this patina on it? Because it doesn't look very nice like this, underneath is a beautiful coin and I would like to get fair trade value for them. Will they appreciate our respect for the coin in this condition by leaving it this way?
            Some are very nice and valuable judging from coin evaluation sites and others not so much. How can I decide which coins to show? Even some pennies are very sought after and small silver ones which are a rarity. What do I do, What do I do? Hum.
    • By phrunt
      This seems mighty weird, a guy on our local auction site is selling hundreds of roman coins from between 100 and 400 AD for $1 each, about 70 US cents I guess.
      Claims they were found with metal detectors.
      https://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/coins/ancient/listing-1853382900.htm?rsqid=9420490cdc564a5cb2786431be84466f

Are these things likely to be fakes or are low grade roman coins really worth that little?

• By Chris Ben
      Hi all. I made it out Sunday for a nice hunt. Great weather temp wise, maybe a little windy. I want back to the wash I found the nuggets in a couple of weeks back, and was able to squeak out 1 more. I tried to expand the area but not luck. I picked up and headed to an area that has been mined a lot, full of trash, but I figure must be full of gold. Wow I really am amazed what the GPZ is capable of.  2 of the nuggets I found really amazed me, size and depth. 1 of those I was detecting a drywash header pile and got a small repeatable signal. I kept raking back the rocks, still getting the signal till I got to virgin ground under the pile, 6 more inches down I pulled out a sub gram nugget. Amazing. 
      All 4 for the day added up to 3.8 grams.
      Now to the question,  I've been soaking that big quartz specimen I found in Wink for about a month now, it is exposing more gold, very slowly. How long do I soak? Do I need to refresh the wink? The longer I soak it the more quartz will dissolve? 
      Thanks Chris