Equinox 800 Recovers A Nugget As Big As The Coil

LOL - Bet you thought it was a ship wreck at first.....  Like summit out the twilight zone ? 

Andy.

• Like 1

Hi Gerry… thanks for an interesting post about native copper from Michigan’s copper / silver mining district. Prices vary with obvious physical characteristics but is especially true with structure. The beautiful dendritic specimens are surprisingly expensive at our mineral auctions. No firsthand experience but I’ve been told that naturally occurring native silver with copper in the same piece pushes pricing much higher.  

The sample you’ve displayed looks pretty good to me. It’s fairly typical, I wouldn’t want to put a price on it but I’ll bet the hobbyist who found it is just delighted with it. The example below isn’t worth much either, but like many other minerals of modest value, I’m satisfied just to have it in my reference collection. From Michigan’s Keweenaw Peninsula some 30+ years ago, together with some chlorite mineral and calcite crystals………………..Jim.

1146135028_0.9LBCOPPERNUGGETSFYG16.JPG.58859133022ea4c2c852d99688e3ff5f.JPG

• Like 2

Nice find.  Have never hunted  up there for native copper but being a resident of the lower peninsula of Michigan we occasionally find artifacts from the Indian Copper Culture period.  Here is a copper awl I found a few miles from home.  Approx age age 800 years or older.

awl.jpg.9ad2dd447fcdac6aa9c010461c41a355.jpg

• Like 6

• The title was changed to Equinox 800 Recovers A Nugget As Big As The Coil