Sign in to follow this  
afreakofnature

Advanced Metal Detecting Prospecting Books - Tell Me Your Favorite!

Last week I responded to a topic on Jim Straight's bibliography and got thinking that I would like to ask everyone out there what there favorite "Advanced" books are.  I am not talking about the book that tells you to keep your coil level and low, or dig here books.  Books that give methods, techniques, or other tips that you don't really know about until you go out and learn them on your own.  (An example for me would be that I never really knew about raking an area and removing a layer of dirt to get even deeper, but after reading that it completely makes sense.)  Other books that would be good are geology, geomorphology and hyrdogeology for "detectable nuggets."  Sure we can use USGS and State GeoSurveys to find areas that have gold, but a lot of gold out there is fine and undetectable, I want books (pubs) on the formation of nuggety gold!.  I haven't really seen or been able to research any info like that.  I do have the basic grasp, but I love to read in the offseason and learn as much as I can to help on the hunt, plus I am ready for some advanced reading.  Kind of sucks to skim through the first half of a book because it only talks about how to swing a detector :biggrin:

Tell me your Favorites!  Lets make a list!

So far on the list:

• Fists Full of Gold:  A complete Guide to the Art of Prospecting: How You Can Find Gold in the Mountains and Deserts.  (Chris Ralph)
  • The Complete unabridged Zip Zip  (Larry Sallee)
  • DFX Gold Methods: Finding Gold Jewelry with the Whites DFX E series TM Metal Detector. (Clive Clynick)
  • Treasure Hunting Manual Vol 7 (Von Mueller)
  • Tom Dankowski's 5th Edition Fisher Intelligence booklet.  (Tom Dankowski)
  • CoinShooting I, II, and III.  (Glenn Carson)
  • Advanced Nuggetshooting - How to Prospect for Gold with a Metal Detector.
  • Like 1

Some of my favorites....

• Fists Full of Gold:  A complete Guide to the Art of Prospecting: How You Can Find Gold in the Mountains and Deserts.  (Chris Ralph)
  • The Complete unabridged Zip Zip  (larry Sallee)
  • DFX Gold Methods: Finding Gold Jewelry with the Whites DFX E series TM Metal Detector. (Clive Clynick)
  • Treasure Hunting Manual Vol 7 (Von Mueller)
  • Tom Dankowski's 5th Edition Fisher Intelligence booklet.  (Tom Dankowski)
  • CoinShooting 1, II, and III.  (Glenn Carson)

I have many more but those stand out off the top of my head.  

I like the Glenn Carson Coinshooting books because he makes you think about your desired targets.

Anyway....a quick 'off the cuff' list.

Don't forget the DVD's.   There are some really good DVDs out there.  

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mike, I am going to add what people put down to the first post for the list.  

Nothing to do with detecting for gold, however everyone should read "Bacon and beans from a gold pan." It's a classic. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By afreakofnature
      Hello all! I can not seem to find a copy to purchase of the 8th Edition of Jim Straight's Follow the Drywashers Vol 3. The Nuggetshooters Bible.  I have the 6th Edition and I would like to see what has been updated and added since.  I have heard there are over 40 new pages of material!
      The other book that I have been wanting to read is Larry Sallee's The Complete Unabridged Zip Zip!  I just can not afford the $200 price tag on this book nor do any libraries have it.
      I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to let me borrow their copies.  I would only need it for a couple weeks.  I would pay for shipping both ways (PayPal friends), I could even put a deposit down or something.  Would anyone be willing to give a hand?  Thank you!
    • By Reno Chris
      At the ICMJ we've decided to post a free issue of the prospecting and Mining Journal magazine on the internet for any new folks who are around to see what it is. (Also experienced prospectors who are wondering about the magazine). We have up to date articles about how to get more gold in your prospecting, legal issues and the best equipment out there for finding gold. If you have any interest in prospecting, this is the magazine you will the most learn from. I may be a little biased as I'm the assistant Editor, but on the other hand I've been getting this magazine since the late 1970s and its always been a lot of fun.  Take a look, I think you'll be glad you did. I you want to subscribe, the subscription info is on the inside of the last page. Its worth not missing a single issue.           https://www.icmj.com/resources/news-and-events/miners-news/free-online-sample-issue-392/

• By afreakofnature
      Hello all! I can not seem to find a copy to purchase of the 8th Edition of Jim Straight's Follow the Drywashers Vol 3. The Nuggetshooters Bible.  I have the 6th Edition and I would like to see what has been updated and added since.  
      I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to let me borrow their's.  I would only need it for a couple weeks to compare.  I would pay for shipping both ways (PayPal friends), I could even put a deposit down or something.  Would anyone be willing to give a hand?  Thanks!
    • By goldseeker4000
      Steve have you ever read the book "Gold Camp". It is about the gold rush of Virginia City, MT., Bannack, MT., and Alder Gulch, Henry Plummer and his Road Agents who robbed all the miners in the territory and the inception and begining of the Vigilanties. You would love this book and so would everyone else. This story would make for an amazing epic gold rush movie and the colorful people who lived thru it. Look it up if you can't find it I will find the book in my room and get you the authors name.
    • By kiwijw
      https://www.minelab.com/anz/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/gold-depth-is-always-relative-to-ground-noise
      Good luck out there
      JW
    • By Steve Herschbach
      The Minelab Equinox Series "From Beginner to Advanced" by Clive Clynick is the first book available about the new Minelab Equinox metal detectors. The 8.5" x 5.5" format book is 111 pages of densely packed information that is intended to help new Minelab Equinox owners get the best out of their new detectors.
      The early part of the book relies of screen shots to illustrate the various controls on the detector, and then switches to hand drawn pictures to illustrate various concepts described in the book. In this day and age of slick graphics the hand drawn images lend a "homemade" feeling to these books. That is indeed probably the case since the book is in the "fold and staple spine" format favored by those printing books at home.
      I can't really fault Clive for using the hand drawn images however. A picture does often easily get across some idea that might be very difficult to describe in writing. I personally can sketch out a useful image quite easily, but turning that sketch onto a slick computer generated diagram can be time consuming. In the end the hand drawn sketches get the idea across, and that is what matters most.

The first roughly 40 pages of the book basically go over the controls, adding some details not found in the owner's' manual. The real meat is in the last 70 pages of the book. Clive goes into great detail emphasizing important details about the Minelab Equinox meter and audio characteristics. There is a lot of information here about how to use the Equinox features along with good handling skills to get the best performance possible out of the Equinox.
      The book has an emphasis on coin and jewelry detecting both on dry land and beach. I therefore think the book will be of most use to people looking for information more specific to these subjects. Information specific to relic detecting or nugget hunting in particular is more in passing while discussing coin and jewelry detecting.
      Much of the information presented does assume basic detecting knowledge along with basic knowledge from the Equinox owner's manual. Clive tries to avoid repeating information already found in the owner's manual, and so from this perspective I would rate this book as being applicable for detectorists with moderate to advanced detecting skills. People who are totally new to detecting may feel in a bit over their heads initially. That is fine because any detecting book worth having usually needs more than one reading. Things that do not sink in at first make more sense after getting some hours of experience before they "click".
      The book may be challenging for true beginners on the first go, but that is because there is meat here to satisfy more advanced operators. Anyone that perseveres with fully understanding the information in this book will no longer be a beginner, and the good thing is the skills learned will apply to many other high performance metal detectors. The bottom line is I recommend this book for people looking for information that goes far beyond what is offered in the Equinox Owner's Manual, and which is of primary interest to coin and jewelry hunters.
      Clive is an accomplished writer with several titles to his credit that qualify as "classics", especially as regards jewelry detecting. Visit his website at http://www.clivesgoldpage.com/ to see all the titles he currently has available.